valve guide removal Z 24

Truck Norris

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

valve guides have a special removing tool, this tool is made several ways, one is for a air hammer or just a regular hammer, The tool has a pilot that is the same size as the valve then has a lip on it that catches the outside edge of the guide and the important part of the tool is “it’s not larger than the guide itself. Google “Goodson engine tools “and then look for head repair or valve work tools, there not a lot of money.

Once you remove valve guides you WILL!!!! Have to do a complete valve job Lapping won’t work.

You could probably make something out of an old valve. FSM recommends a 2 ton press or BFH. Drive them out towards the valve cover. The valve guide hole has to be reamed out to an oversize. New oversize valve guides can now be pressed in after heating the head in an oven to 300F to 400F. Valve seats must be corrected to match the new guide locations.

You could probably make something out of an old valve. FSM recommends a 2 ton press or BFH. Drive them out towards the valve cover. The valve guide hole has to be reamed out to an oversize. New oversize valve guides can now be pressed in after heating the head in an oven to 300F to 400F. Valve seats must be corrected to match the new guide locations.

k thank you i worked around them and they have little play with valve in. Sounds like money to me and if i have any it could be spent elsewhere. lol I soak up any knowledge i can and thank you for your post.

valve guides have a special removing tool, this tool is made several ways, one is for a air hammer or just a regular hammer, The tool has a pilot that is the same size as the valve then has a lip on it that catches the outside edge of the guide and the important part of the tool is “it’s not larger than the guide itself. Google “Goodson engine tools “and then look for head repair or valve work tools, there not a lot of money.

Once you remove valve guides you WILL!!!! Have to do a complete valve job Lapping won’t work.

k check thank you so i will leave my guides in and just lapp if possible, I was just wanting them out of the way, nothing to do with wear or damage