82' 720 ignition switch question

doc_rot

I have 82' 720 that has seen alot of half-assed mods in its life. At some point the PO replaced the ignition switch with an el cheapo ignition switch. It has been driving me nuts as it will often get stuck in the start posistion and fry the starter. I bought an OEM style switch and went to swap it out. The aftermarket one in there only has 4 connections; ignition, accessory, battery, and ground. The OEM one has 5 connections which are only numbered, the switch didnt come with a diagram. I was trying to troubleshoot it and try different connections, and was able to get the truck to turn over and catch, but not stay on. Anyone one know what the connections are supposed to be? DSC_0452.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a complete wiring diagram in front of me right now, and it doesn't have the ign. switch wires numbered, and it only shows 4 wires.

If I were you, I would go to the wrecking yard with a pair of wire cutters and snip the ign. plug off a 720(preferably a 82), and connect the like wires to each other in your harness, and plug it in, turn the key and go, that is what I would do.

There is another issue here, what you have doesn't look like an OEM 720 ign. switch, as the OEM 720 ign. switch is part of the steering lock system, so it would be hard to say what wire went where.

This is what a 720 ign. switch assembly looks like.

DSCN1931.jpg

DSCN1930.jpg

DSCN1928.jpg

DSCN1927.jpg

DSCN1936.jpg

In reality you should get the whole ign. switch assembly and plug from the wrecking yard, take it to a key shop, have them make a key for it, mount it on your column, wire the plug, and go.

Tilt and non-tilt are differant, you need to get the assembly from the same type you have.

I hope this post doesn't depress you.

BTW, this switch is likely an 85 or 86, as it has the light in it.

wayno

Thanks for replying Wayno. Yep checked it, its not OEM, its a "OE direct replacement" ignition switch for an 82, and while it doesnt have the entire steering lock mechanism, it does look very similar to the back of your switch. the closest wrecking yard with an 82 is a 2.5 hour drive for me, so id like to try and use the swtich i have since i can't return it, and dont want to make the drive unless i have to.

You said the wiring diagram has only 4 wires, but in your photo i see 5 connections on the switch, i assume one is splitting? also, I can see most of the markings on the back of your switch, that should point me in the right direction, is that an S in the top left?