720 suspension question

I'm posting this here and in the 720 section of Ratsun.

I have a 2" body lift on my 85 720 and it drives rough. She's my DD so I'd like to tone it down a bit but I dig the ride so I don't want to lower it, and we have snow up here. Doesn't look like the PO ever replaced the front shocks as she's sittin' on her bump stops. The rear shocks look to be fully extended with coil overs that you can move up and down if there is no load in her.... A mechanic friend put her up on his lift and the tires didn't go down but more the 1mm... As I am new to Nissan's I'd like to see if there is at all a cost effective yet good replacement for my gal.

Thanks ya'll

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The front suspension uses torsion bars instead of springs. There is a long bolt on each side of the truck (half way back) to stiffen/loosen, raise/lower the front end. There's a certain distance the bolt is supposed to stick through for factory settings. It should not be on the bump stops-check a manual and check these out. The shocks don't have anything to do with ride height and are easy to change but the greatly impact the ride.

The rear are leaf springs and could be worn out. The suspension should sag a few inches at least when you jack it up.

The body lift doesn't affect ride at all, but does make working under the truck a lot easier.

I miss my 85 4x4 sometimes...