need a little help.... picture included

ive been having some problems with the alternator on my KA-E. i swear it was working fine for awhile and then all of the sudden it just stopped charging. ive taken it into the local parts store and its checked out fine according to their machines.

im pretty convinced its a wiring issue but anything i try is not working and i honestly dont even know where to begin when describing what i have but here goes....

my ground is hooked up and my BAT connection on the alt. is connected to the starter and that goes back to the battery. i think (not 100% sure) my problem lies in the 2 pin connector on the side of the alt. i dont know what those wires are suppose to be doing voltage wise and which way they are being hooked up because the car has never had the actual plastic clip just 2 spade connectors. i have a green and a yellow wire. does anyone know where these are suppose to trace back to? are they suppose to be putting voltage out when the car is off/on? when i disconnect the wire from the BAT terminal and check it with my voltmeter while the car is running what should that be putting out? 12-14v? im not getting anything. does this alt need an exciting charge to get it going? where does that come from and go to?

i just dont know enough about the charging system and i have to many questions so i really need some help here and im hoping someone on here has the answers.

THANK YOU!

2012-07-20141604-1.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

internal. it was actually rebuilt less than 100miles ago but thats not to say something hasnt happened since i put the car back together, just that it has new parts.

Well then...would assume your voltage reg has been bypassed as per DQ article

The yellow wire is a switched 12v wire from the charge lamp on the dash. When the alternator isn't charging, it provides ground for the light and makes it turn on. When it is charging, the ground is removed and the light goes out.

The green (should be white if from a truck) is the feedback for the voltage regulator. Runs to the battery along with the big output wire that goes to the battery.

cool good info. does it matter which spade the wires are connected to? which goes on top which goes on bottom?

if im understanding correctly one needs to be constant on and one needs to switch off with the ignition. right?

i stripped back my harness and found that my wires did not go to where they were suppose to. got that all fixed now i just want to make sure i have the wires on the right spade terminal.

Thanks again guys you always come through!!!

does it matter which spade the wires are connected to?

Yes

Alt T connection...

Top...........yellow

Bottom......W/B

And of course...the voltage reg removal/bypass

wiring5.jpg

I believe this pic was taken before I flipped a few jumper wires....previous owner wired it wrong

...........Which in turn fried my HEI module

Splice the W (white) wire to the Y one. (Sense circuit)

Splice the W/R (white/red) wire to the W/B one. (Lamp circuit)