Yet another 85 4x4

bmacster

Your images are both 1024X768, which I believe is as large as they will scale on this forum.  One is 123kB, the other 136 kB.  I'd say you did a good job.  They could have been compressed down to 100kB or so, but that's nit-picking.

A thread on reinstall from datzenmike:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13841-replacing-a-head-gasket-on-a-1986-nissan-king-cab-pickup-with-24l-naps-z-carburetor/

http://forums.nicoclub.com/am-i-crazy-for-wanting-to-replace-head-gasket-t481219.html

I'm guessing the part that's troubling you the most is getting the sprocket under the chain and onto the camshaft so you can take out the wedge without it all going to hell.  I didn't see specific steps for that.  It'd be great if some people took the trouble to YouTube the procedure...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A question - 

How on earth do you get the cam gear back on? It is seemingly damn near impossible to get the chain up and over it. At this point, should I be worried that the spring on the tensioner is fully extended? 

Sigh. If it isn't one thing it is something else.

Maybe start a new thread with that question in the title?  I poked around on YouTube a bit but didn't see anything...

I replaced a NAPZ head years ago.  Can't recall if I was able to get it back together without having to tear the front of the engine off. 

I hope I'm wrong on this, but your second picture in post #50 has me worried.  I think the Datsun Wedge has to be short enough so that it can be in place and still give you free access to the bolt on the cam.  Your piece of wood appears to be blocking the work area.  Maybe not?  You got the head off with that piece of wood stuffed in there...

• 1 month later...

A few updates;

Got the engine put back together, runs like a champ! Can't quite get the timing pinned down 100% and still lags on power but it is MUCH better, can do 60-70mph and keep up with traffic, which is great!

I did a test drive from my place in Auburn to Monroe, about 49 miles and put in 2.4 gallons, which is roughly 20/21mpg, spot on with the EPA estimate for the truck.

I went up to Stevens Pass to the Merritt rest area and back the next day, 220 miles and arrived home with about a half a tank of fuel remaining. Very pleased with that considering the last trip I went from Auburn to Olympia netted me a nearly empty fuel tank, and yes, that was one way. 

A new item cropped up when I went to try and get the alignment done. Apparently, the prior owner several years ago, cut a hole into the frame due to the camber nut breaking. Both of them are broken some how but I am thinking the more I get into the truck, the more I have a feeling the truck was in some heavy salt water/sandy area, which caused so much of the issues I've been experiencing with the truck. 

I have lost count on how many broken bolts I have easily broken due to fatigue. The front suspension especially and interior of the truck especially. Whatever the PO did, it didn't do me any favors at all. 

So what remains? 

Get new floorboards welded in, and now the frame repair work that needs to be done. 

Replacing the rear leaf spring bushings

Replacing the windshield and rear window gasket

Finish the interior

Find a passenger door and tailgate (if you have one in the WA area, lemme know! Brown preferably but the truck will eventually get repainted regardless)

Track down some better rubber than the howlers that are on it currently (any recommendations?)

Thanks! I'll add links to all of my other various threads in here this evening.