Differences in l24's?

corytate

I got an l24 with my z car, and I'm ready to start the disassembly and rebuilding process, probably with a cam regrind thrown in there while I have it apart, to wake it up a bit.

I haven't been able to figure out what year the engine is from though... Block is e31, head is e88 (iirc) and the intake is e88, but with these carbs on it:

DSC00896.jpg?t=1341092208

So here's the question: How can I tell which year? seems like it's from a 71 to 73 Z, but idk. And are there even gasket differences other than square port/round port differences? and are there square and round port l24's or are they all one design? I'll be doing a little port work while the engine's opened up as well, to help the cam out a little bit.

Thank you all for your expertise!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all stock L24s are pretty much the same.

even if its from a 73 and it came with flat tops most of the time they have been scrapped for round tops.

either wat it doesnt matter, L24 is an L24.

E88 is the stock head for all L24s except a very small number of early 70s that had an E31

• 1 month later...

There were at least 3 different e88 heads. Do some internet searches for the exact differences. Atlanticz.ca or datsun garage site should have something on it. The 260z e88 head came with larger exhaust valves and a c grind cam which was the hottest stock cam. For the L24 you have early and late e88 heads. One way to tell the difference is the casting of e88. If its nice and uniform its one and if the E is a little offset its the other. I dont remember which is which, but the info is out there if you dig. As for parts its not going to matter, its just the quench chamber that is changing. If your going to sink money in it go with a L28 block and head.