200SX 5-spd. into an '85 720 ???

I need to know if this is a direct swap or what all is involved. I searched and couldn't figure it out. I did see as where some swaps, like L series to Z series can make the trans lean over like 11 degrees, d/k...

My truck is an '85 ST king cab. My stock 5-spd is shot, actually 3rd gear is gone.

A friend has offered me a 5-spd from an '85 200sx. He will even let me use his lift!

Would this be an easy swap?

Thanks alot!

-Jeff

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '85 200sx used a CA motor and the tranny bolt pattern won't match up to the Z24 motor.

Both '85 720 and 200sx use the FS5W71B transmission by using different front case halves with the correct engine bolt pattern. With both trannys out, drained of oil and side by side, you can swap the Z24 front case onto the 200sx tranny fairly easily with a 12mm socket and a pair of snap ring pliers.

Awesome, thanks Mike.

Is there anything besides the front case halves that need to trasfer off the truck trans?

BTW, I need a clutch and bearing soon so could I use the 200sx stuff?

Lastly, does any one know if they are similar gears, ratio wise?

Thanks,

-jeff

The '85 200sx should be

1st....2nd....3rd....4th....5th

3.321 1.902 1.308 1.000 0.833

The '85 4X4 truck should be:

1st....2nd....3rd....4th....5th

3.592 2.057 1.361 1.000 0.813

As you can see the 200sx tranny is slightly higher geared in first than the truck and this would make it more of a close ratio tranny. There would also be a lesser drop in RPMs in 5th. If you wanted an exact match get an '83-'84 200sx it had identical ratios.

I doubt the CA clutch is the same as it would have to be a 240mm. Do not reuse a release bearing, get a new one and replace the pilot bushing too, $3 at Nissan.