help! buying a 280z UPDATED now with pictures

WeirdKid

well you guys wanted pictures: here they are, picking it up for $250 this weekend after you guys answer one question!

I know the rubber bushings and all the steering mounts arent that much individually, but how difficult is it to replace them on my own, a mechanic told me i probably do not have the right skills or tools to do it myself and will cost me A LOT at a garage for the work. is this true or can i tackle it myself with the help of some buddies and my dad?

P1070560.jpg

P1070561.jpg

P1070562.jpg

P1070563.jpg

P1070559.jpg

P1070558.jpg

P1070557.jpg

he has all the wires and hoses required, and a book with wiring diagrams. The headlight housing is in the hatch. basically what ive collected is that i will need a new clutch master and slave cylinder, front suspension and steering bushings, full oil and gas flush and new oil filters and fuel filters, and some fresh NGKs and wires. Also i need to not go gonzo with new parts and i need to be very cost-minded because this could get expensive quick if im not careful.

If i missed anything or have any advice/warnings it would be GREATLY appreciated.

for some more background here is the original thread. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43757-help-buying-a-280z/

-Kid B)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem extremely indecisive.

(1) pick it up.. your very VERY drawn out on the purchase .. borrowed time dude! !!!!

(2) most of the bushings are ok to do .. except the rear control arms .. you can do them as there is different methods.

(3) the mechanic has valuable advice. Depending on how you work on cars/tools/methods it can cost a little or a lot. He may not wish to work on this car as many people dont pay after agreeing to the work. Dont ask him 100 questions without some return on his end. ( hes a pro its his living)

(4) you can tackle it yourself ... mostly patience ... a few special tools ... practice on a spare set if you need to.

(5) 280z efi is fairly simple to work on.

(6) $250 is very low risk ... thats scrap price! !!

PICK IT UP! !!!!

This is all coming from a zcar owner/guy.

Bushings aren't that hard. If you can't do them, you're dead on the rest of the stuff you need to do.

The very best thing you can do is hit hybridz, ratsun, and other Z forums and search, read, search, search, and if you have more questions, search again, then ask.

Just jump in and go for it. Torch out the old bushings in the rear and your good to go with no crazy tools. It'll be fun and will take a while, but if you take your time and read up a lot, there's nothing on these cars that is too crazy to do yourself.

thank you sir, it will be in my posession this week then. i am just really cautious with money lately now that i am 18 haha. luckily except for that bump in the hood i think the paint will buff out nicely. still open for tips and advice though. once i have it i will start a project thread

Your very wise to be money concious first! :cool:.

Themission is correct.

Read on hybridz ... dont post .. seriously lol ... even when trying to help some people feel it neccessary to have to "prove" themselves rather than just help :rofl:. Most the people on there are goos. Read all hybridz rules 10x times over ... seriously ..

Or prepare to get banned ... i use it for information and not socializing one bit.

This is good deal but mind you ... always estimate repairs of cars like this to start at a few hundred. Past that they are simple and inexpenwive if you take the time to read everything you can find. Especially the fam ( downloadable and free)