72 Datsun 510 A/C

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would run an aftermarket Sanden type compressor. These can be had brand new for a reasonable price, but you will probably need to either fab a bracket or find one from a late 70's/ early 80's L series motor. Fit the biggest condenser you can behind the grill, then it's just having some hoses fabbed up and a few wires. I would also suggest replacing the expansion valve on the evaporator and pressure testing the evaporator before installing it and adding a low pressure cut off switch. A new filter/drier is a given.

Mark

I agree with everything datsunrides says. I just pulled a COMPLETE dealer installed AC setup (just SOLD it this morning) off of my 71 510, and was surprised how simple it was. If interested, SEND ME YOUR EMAIL right away, and I'll take a few pics of the various parts, before I box it all up and send to the buyer! I would think that any good AC specialty shop could help you source all the other parts. A receiver drier is really just a receiver drier, same with the condensor..........just need to buy it to FIT the confines of the 510 engine compartment. The dealer installed kit simply had SLIP-ON & CLAMP rubber AC compatible hose. The condensor was held in place with that horrible cut-to-length flexible flat steel "mounting strap", so I would expect that you will fab up a nicer mounting sytem, based on whatever condensor you buy. The original York compressor mounting bracket was heavy & bulky.....again, fab up a nice clean bracket, based on the later model Sanden compressor. Buy the adjustable belt idler pulley LAST, once you have fab'd up the Sanden unit & bracket, cuz I think you will buy it based on exactly where & how you place the Sanden unit.

I MIGHT have some spare parts if you need.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

i just pulled a complete a/c off a 78 620 w/ a l20. have comp. cond. hoses brackets hardware covers everything from under the hood havent touched anything past firewall though. all equip seems to be in viable cond. if yur interested i can take detailed pics.. heres a pic before i pulled it out

78kc030.jpg

Were all of the L20B compressors mounted on the passenger side, up high like that? All of the factory dealer installed 510 L16's that I have seen, had the compressors mounted on the drivers side, down low.............

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.