Big Oil Filter

When I started modifying my oil pan for the Z20 swap into my 510, I had some concern on losing some oil capacity. Instead of reversing the crossmember, I junkyarded a Z22 pan and pickup. Basically, I sliced a “small” section out of the Z22 pan to accommodate the steering linkage on the 510. In the process, I am estimating I lost about ½ to ¾ of a quart capacity from the original Z22 pan. I did some research at the time and read that increased oil capacity helps maintain the oil temp low.

oilpan-1.jpg

So I have been researching possible fixes to the problem (if it is even worth worrying about). The first is modify the oil pan again. Maybe wing it out on both sides, but this will take time and not really a quick option to get to Canby. Another is maybe run an oil cooler. Still quite a bit of work considering how much I have left to do on the 510.

However last night I discovered some people were using a truck/industrial filter: Hastings LF426 (http://catalog.hasti...layBackButton=0)

Apparently these mount up just fine and hold about two quarts of oil. A little more research and I found that the following parts interchange with that filter:

Baldwin BT251, Donaldson P550299, Fleetguard LF787, Wix 51773, and FRAM PH977A.

I could not find any particular data regarding filter technology, but then again I usually don’t run anything special on my engines. A cheap FRAM is typical for me. So I have no idea if the filter is actually any better.

Although some of the truck people argue that the bigger, industrial filter element and possible reduction in oil flow speed may cause these filters to do a better job.

Even if it doesn’t filter any better, I am curious if the increased capacity may help maintain oil temps (again if I even have a prob with it).

Has anyone used these things? Any issue with running a truck filter on my L or Z series? Or should I just stick with the standard filter? Maybe I could run two remote oil filters with an adapter.

Maybe in the future I will hook up a temp gauge and see if it actually makes a difference.

BTW this topic has been brought up before:

http://community.rat...atsun-l-series/

http://community.rat...-51515napa1515/

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you will have a problem. I assume you are going to run it awhile before any huge trips... But um, just try the 51515, or the 1515 (I can get the Wix at Baxter's for 5.99), and if it has troubles go to a larger and try it?