do i need my 3rd gear and neutral gear switches on my tranny?

haze

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the neutral switch allows starting the vehicle without the stock clutch switch. (Don't have to have the clutch in to start the vehicle... never actually seen anybodies Datsun still have this, haha.)

The third gear switch I believe is a points/timing thing which works in conjunction with a box on the linkage, at least that's how it was explained to me years ago. I never ran either of them, and I do not believe they are a requirement. Think it advances timing in third gear or deceleration in 3rd gear.

It MIGHT be a requirement with a dual-points distributor, but I have rarely ever seen any of this stuff still hooked up, at least in 510's. I can't imagine it doing a whole lot of anything. There was a lot of odd-duck stuff on 510's regarding all of that, there was a relay mounted to the radiator in some years that Nissan didn't have a name for - just "Relay" but if you follow the wiring diagram it brings you to the dual points dizzy & third gear switch. I just simply cut mine out, I had a single-point distributor anyhow.

For future reference, do you know if it's a deceleration switch or an acceleration switch? I always get it mixed up, haha.

It's a third gear switch dammit Boaty! /self-reprimand GO!

boaty thanx!!! i dont care about those plugs anymore....datsunaholic its a fresh tranny rebuild all the switches are there i was plugging in my reverse lights and found a couple extra plugs that i didnt understand i have an EI dizzy these days so no mas 3rd and neutral gear switches!!!!!!