Need input L20 to L24E swap

ImPo

I'd like to get some outside input from you guys about an idea I had to swap in an L24E long block from a 83 maxima(810) in place of my L20. Im leaving behing the fuel injection originally equipped on this L24E. I'd be using my original L20 manifolds an carbs. I'm running tripple Solex 40's which is why I think the L24E may be as large displacement as these carbs would fit comfortably. Reasons being, first I'd hope to get a little more power, and second I've come across this L24E with 52xxx original miles in super clean condition at the local junkyard. From the reaserch I've done they should be directly compatible as far as manifolds, starters, trans adaptation, etc.. Any input would be much appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have clarified,  I also have a 72 GC10 skyline. I'm talking in line 6's as you thought. My main concerns are the fitment of the manifolds, oil pan, and distributor assembly. I'd be trying to utilize my original L20 distributor, carbs, and manifolds. In a nutshell its a straight across long block swap, L20 to L24E

OK. That's more clear, nw that you have both in your profile.

The L24E head will have some differences in machining for the injectors. I know that the 4-cyl EFI heads had the stud holes machined out for both EFI and Carb manifolds, but I don't know if 6-cyl ones are likewise dual-tapped or even if they were different. I've seen L28 heads with 240Z carb manifolds on them, so I think it will work though.

You can freely swap the pan (and oil pickup) from the L20 to the L24. Same with distributor.

That L24E has the MN47 head which with flatops on a L24 has an Awesome compression ratio, Great race head on a L28 or even a street beast if tuned correctly. You should have no problems swapping the block over, All the Inline 6's where basically the same size externally the only difference was increased stroke and Bore over the years. I've swapped a L28 into my 260z and had no problems whatsoever, The head will have the bolt holes needed for your L20 manifolds, etc. I don't see why anything should be different, The trans may be a different length and bolt up differently but you could use your L20 trans or make something work. A nice built L24E should be a great revving motor.

That L24E has the MN47 head which with flatops on a L24 has an Awesome compression ratio, Great race head on a L28 or even a street beast if tuned correctly. You should have no problems swapping the block over, All the Inline 6's where basically the same size externally the only difference was increased stroke and Bore over the years. I've swapped a L28 into my 260z and had no problems whatsoever, The head will have the bolt holes needed for your L20 manifolds, etc. I don't see why anything should be different, The trans may be a different length and bolt up differently but you could use your L20 trans or make something work. A nice built L24E should be a great revving motor.

OMG sir what do you have in that car it sounds like sex !

• 2 months later...

I'd like to get some outside input from you guys about an idea I had to swap in an L24E long block from a 83 maxima(810) in place of my L20. Im leaving behing the fuel injection originally equipped on this L24E. I'd be using my original L20 manifolds an carbs. I'm running tripple Solex 40's which is why I think the L24E may be as large displacement as these carbs would fit comfortably. Reasons being, first I'd hope to get a little more power, and second I've come across this L24E with 52xxx original miles in super clean condition at the local junkyard. From the reaserch I've done they should be directly compatible as far as manifolds, starters, trans adaptation, etc.. Any input would be much appreciated.

The MN47 head is worth grabbing but drop it on top of a flat top L28 block....