engine smokes?

TENDRIL

so i have the chance to buy a 1972 510 wagon auto, has been parked for a couple years the owner parked it because it started smoking so he believes the rings have gone bad, he started to take it apart but only got as far as taking the manifolds off, and the valve cover...

im looking to get this for my mother, but im also moving to AZ on the 12th so im wondering if i can fix this within a week or so

and if this is the rings where would be the cheapest to find them.. unless someone on here has some

does this sound like worn rings. or a head gasket.. and can this be done fairly quickly?

im going to look at it 2maro..

edit-

"never did a compression test. it was a blueish smoke and it was smoking pretty good on the freeway and than i parked it"

-owner

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.... if it was a gasket there's a good chance that coolant has leaked down into the cylinder and will have rusted after two years. The guy probably wouldn't care if you took the head off.... it would have to come off anyway. You could look at the cylinder wear while you're there.

Rings? Well expect the worst and go from there. I've done a few hone and re-ring without checking for wear. They lasted about 8 months because I should have over bored and got new pistons and rings. Yes you could do it in a week if you devote 7 days to it. Hard to do it with the motor in. Myself, I would pass on it.