NEw z new problems

frey1691

okie dokie so i got a 77 280z about a week ago and im having a bunch of issues one of which i think i fixed(for now) which was the brand new starter burned out so i replaced it and no problems yet(yet...) also, the problem at hand, is that its using about a quart of oil + or - per DAY :disgust: FML. there appears to be a puddle on the block below the header but cant see source. also when i crank the car up the oil pressure gauge goes up to a normal spot and then slowly creeps back down(below the 0 mark) until it looks like its not working at all which it may not be. Its not burning an excesive amount of oil or at least its not pouring blue smoke so i dont think its burning the whole quart but i just dont know what it could be. it runs great i get good power so im assuming that my head gasket and pistons are all intact and due to the lack of blue smoke i believe that my rings are in ok shape. The guy i got it from says that he replaced the valve seals recently too which i believe because everything he has told me so far has been true as far as replaced parts and present issues. with the exception of this one. so if you have any ideas or suggestions ill give them a shot and try to document what ive done

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the block vent on the manold side. Notr sure where it is ... mayb more to the front? There should be a metal pipe coming out of it to a hose that goes to your PCV valve on the intake. Maybe locate it nad work backwards. It may be dislodged an spraying oil.

If you had no oil pressure the motor would have siezed by now, but this is no reason not to fix this. Try a new sender about $15. It's on the plug side just betwen the dipstick and the oil filter.

thanks mike is there a pcv bypass i can do im in the process of trying to eliminate emissions components and although im still learning about the vacuum routing and stuff was wondering if i could clamp that off or freeze plug it or something

Never remove the PCV system. It uses a very small amount of manifold vacuum to suck water vapor, unburned gas and oil fumes and any combustion blow-by from inside the motor and recycles them back into the cylinder to be burned. This prevents them from condensing inside the motor when it cools down and contaminating the oil. The PCV it totally benign, having zero effect on the motor performance but a huge effect on keeping the engine insides and oil clean and prolonging the time between changes.

ok i knew thats what the system did but i didnt understand the importance of it i guess what about the filter on the valve cover does that not void the systems ability to function? oh and another thing really off topic does the zx multi switch (wipers, lights, signals) fit on the z cars cause the z car ones are all backwards and weird. also mine is fuel injected and im having trouble figuring out the vacuum routing is it basically the same and which items are "non-removable" or would have negative effects on the way the car runs