Check your quantity before your spray...

So I've been starting the body work on my 240z. Got everything sanded down, had all my supplies, taped off the garage, the car etc. Finished wiping it down with degreaser, go to pour my Acrylic lacquer primer to find it only pours out enough for one pot...A slight confusion sets in, it feels full, it was sloshing around like full with the cap on...So I grab my flashlight and peer into the canister, its 75% solid, the other liquid was already in the pot...angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif I bought this primer appx 5 years ago, thought I had the lid tight enough. I bought in bulk and it bit me in the ass. Moral of the story, only buy enough paint to get your project done and don't store it for a long time, at the very least don't open it until you're ready to paint...Unless you want your Z looking like this....(then again what did I expect from 5-year old primer blink.gif)

12f14598.jpg

d6a208f4.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most paints, and primers will settle out. You have to stir, and mix it really well, especially if it has sat for a longer time.

I recently sprayed some 2k primer surfacer on the roof of my project. I opened the can, and took a paint paddle, and had to "cut" through the settled solids on the bottom of the can with the edge of the paint stick. In fact, I broke one paint stick, at first.

Once you have "cut" the bottom solids, stir vertically, as well as horizontally. Scrape the edges and bottom of the can. Stir in a figure eight motion. When you think you are through stirring, scrape across the bottom of the can, and pull the stick up, and look at the bottom of the stick. If there is any extra build up on the bottom of the stick, stir some more.

If you use a mechanical stirrer, use an air powered drill to turn it. Electric drills make sparks, some paint fumes are flammable.

• Like 1

Most paints, and primers will settle out. You have to stir, and mix it really well, especially if it has sat for a longer time.

I recently sprayed some 2k primer surfacer on the roof of my project. I opened the can, and took a paint paddle, and had to "cut" through the settled solids on the bottom of the can with the edge of the paint stick. In fact, I broke one paint stick, at first.

Once you have "cut" the bottom solids, stir vertically, as well as horizontally. Scrape the edges and bottom of the can. Stir in a figure eight motion. When you think you are through stirring, scrape across the bottom of the can, and pull the stick up, and look at the bottom of the stick. If there is any extra build up on the bottom of the stick, stir some more.

If you use a mechanical stirrer, use an air powered drill to turn it. Electric drills make sparks, some paint fumes are flammable.

Thanks Daniel, I through some lacquer thinner in there. According to the paint shop that I bought it from it should be able to be reconstituted into a liquid. I might try to liquify it again, but right now I'm leaning towards just picking up another new (fresh) can. It's only about $40...