Cleaned out my carb, now running badly

This may be a hard problem to solve. I don't have stock carburetors, but rather keihn carbs from a harley davidson. My car was running fine, sort of. After I took my air cleaners off I noticed one of the jets (?) on one of my carburetors wasn't working. (the one right after the air cleaner) I opened up the boot and found that the rubber seal had a crack in it and therefore the vaccum pump type action of the accellerator wasnt making it squirt fuel into the carb. While I was taking that apart, I decided to install bigger pilot and main jets on both carbs. While doing this, I completely screwed up the mixture of the #2 carb and now the car runs like crap. First of all the car is now smoking, which didnt happen before. It still has power when I give it a lot of gas, but it's undrivable when not acellerating hard. I've tried messing with the mixture screw. First tightening it all the way, driving it. No go. Then loosening it a bit. No go. Then loosening it a lot. No go. I'm out of ideas.

So in short, how do I tune these carburetors?

lmwuG.jpg

I've tried to figure out what they're from. They're both slightly different though. Typing in the numbers on the top of them into google doesn't help.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put the old jets in. I set the mixture screw on one carb the same as the other and the one that I didnt mess up. It's still running extremely rich. It's smoking, it's loud, I cant drive at low RPMS, my spark plugs are covered in carbon or whatever. Dag nab it.

Does screwing the mixture screw tighter richen the mixture or make it more lean?