a14 rebuild

kinetisist

Well I finally found a replacement engine and it came from a junk yard that removes the engine for you ..yeah..less work. However, they left it in a shed without the oil cap and the fuel pump so the engine was open to the surroundings for 10 plus years. I am looking for input on what your experineces have been. I am going to take the head off to check the condition of the cylinders and to put on a GX head .. any input here or experince would be greatly appreciated....It has the elecronic distributor and the stock carb intakeand exhaust manifold...I do have a weber side draft sourced along with t he gx head any other thoughts..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well for those that have viewed or were thinking of responding ... well I just got the junk yard boot .. the engine was stored poorly and so it is not worth my time however on the bright side the yard owner has 2 a15's and is willing to trade or refund...so i will inspec them before leaving the yard this time and I might have an a15 by the weeks end ... crossing my fingures that one of the 2 he has is in goog shape.

Well I will be psoting pics as soon as I locate my camera .. but here is the build so far .. found a better a14 with electonic dist. the engine still has the cross hatched cylinders and there was no oil on the outside of the block .. took of the head and I am installing an oval port head, canon single side draft with 40 dcoe and stock exhaust manifold for now untill I get a custom manifold built... the manifold is not attached like the a12 setup..

I have sprayed the cylinders with WD40 to clean them and got what very little carbon was on the pistons off

today is oil pan cleaning and breaking down the head to clean the ports and lap the valves

next is gaskets and seals port and polishing the head ..minor..just want to match the canon intake with the head and remove the rough parts from the casting process in the ports

after all this I plan on painting the engine ...Candy Apple Green or Plum crazy purple is on my mine but I have not gone there yet and getting the stock valve cover chromed and the engine bay is going to be gloss black...saw this done and it makes the engine stand out as the center piece like it should be..

• 2 months later...