78 truck Carb Issues

HandyCaptainron

Hi,

My 1978 Datsun truck Just started to have issues.

When the truck is Running, it seems to be smoking a lot of white smoke and when you step on the gas pedal it bogs down as if its flooding,

If I pull the plugs, they are wet with fuel.

I never had this Issue before, Any suggestions are greatly welcome!

It was running fine, then just started to do this.....

Ron

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White smoke sounds like a blown or starting to blow head gasket. The wet plugs are likely water not gas. This can happen from the cylinder directly to a coolant passage and water is sucked in and heated turning to steam. A compression test MAY show one or two adjacent cylinders low if really bad but inconclusive if still early.

Is the coolant level dropping? Are you losing any? Having to top it up more lately?

When running, are the rad hoses bulging under pressure or is the overflow tank collecting coolant pushed out?

Does the coolant have a gas smell?

Whatever you do do not run it to the point of over heating it. As long as you keep the coolant level up you should be ok but it could suddenly drop on the way home. If the head overheats it can ...

1/ warp..... needing to be milled flat or the gasket will just blow again.

2/ valve seats will pop out.... might as well throw away.

I had this happen a few years ago for no apparent reason. The total cost was $23 for me to fix.

Over rich condition is usually characterized by black smoke out the exhaust.

Well, after messing around I look down into the bores of the two barrel,,, I noticed that the right side was Carboned up pretty Bad.... so I take a thin object while the truck is Idleing and push down in the butterfly and the truck revs up quite smoothly.... so I rev up the truck with the throttle linkage and notice that the right side is not opening at all, I'm starting to look and see if I have a linkage issue or a bad or working vacume issue.

• 3 weeks later...