shorter front struts

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shortened struts won't lower your car. The only allow more suspension travel for lowered cars.

To lower it farther, you can fit shorter springs (for example, cut another 1/2 coil).

Or you can lower the spring cup on the strut. A lot of guys are grinding the cup off and fitting a commercial-grade shaft collar lower down the strut tube than the stock location.

Often when guy shorten stuts, they move the spring seat further down (via adjustable sleeves, or just move the stock spring cup down).

So cutting the lower spring seat and welding it at a lower point will allow for a lower stance. Are the reasons for swapping to zx struts, the advantages of better brakes? I thought a shorter strut assembly by itself would lower the car by the difference in strut length.

The main reason for 280ZX strut swaps is to get the larger disc rotors. 510 have non-ventilated solid rotors and 280ZX are ventilated. That doesn't really matter unless your 510 brakes are overheating. But they are larger brakes too, and that makes a big difference. Stops faster and easier.

Although some guys swap them so they have a wider variety off off-the-shelf 280ZX strut insert cartridges (shock absorber), but those 280ZX shocks will fit into a 510 strut so it doesn't really matter.

Shorter strut doesn't lower the car. Shorter springs do. Softer springs do. Or stiffer springs mounted lower down. Or stock springs mounted lower down. You can do any of this on a stock or shortened strut.

Another way to lower the car is to fit low-profile tires.

It has 15" wheels and 205/50/15 on it. I replaced bushings when I cut the springs and in addition to my stance not being were I want, it seems to have a + camber. I can't figure it out. Wheels and tires were on the car when I got it. And camber issue was there too. I feeling a little lost.

yes, 510 has positive camber. That the factory design.

What is your goal? Just want to lower the car? Cut the coil more. One turn is almost nothing.

If you want negative camber, lowering the car is not the way to do it. It doesn't affect it much, especially since stock camber is +1.5.

If you want it ALL (lower, more suspension travel, large brakes and negative camber) swap the 280ZX strut/brake assembly (requires fabrication) and fit camber tops. Also fit small-diameter coilovers so you can pull the struts in further (via the camber tops). Stock springs will work with camber tops too but I don't think you'll get -5 degrees before the springs hit the sides of the tower.

ZX struts are lower by about 2". This is comparing the shocks fully extended.

I have ZX struts with 510 springs (uncut). I am running my lower spring perch as low as possible (dont want to cut my spring). Tires are 185/60/14. I have never bottomed out the shocks.

SNC11178.JPG

SNC11222.JPG

Looks like you are using the stock 510 spring cup and a commercial-grade shaft collar (no welding).

Do the tires rub? Or does it actually have like 1/4" clearance. Can't quite tell from the photo.

Yes, 510 spring cup, shaft collar (known as a split shaft collar).

No tire rub.

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge. My goal is to make a solid daily driver with a nice look. The camber just seemed wrong. Nice to know there is not some thing wrong with mine. I think I'll cut and lower the seat and relocate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.