Aftermarket gauge

Hopefully I have this in the right section. I am trying to install an aftermarket gauge in my 510. I wanted to know what did you guys tap into or wire up for the gauge backlighting. Im guessing the headlight switch? Obviously, I want the gauge backlight to only come on when the parking lights and headlights are turned on. But when I look at all the wires on the back of the headlight switch, they are all the same color. I have no idea which one to use for the 12v signal for my gauge lighting. So let me know what you guys did for the gauge light signal.

Also, I bought a braided stainless oil pressure line for the autometer oil pressure gauge I am trying to install(i dont trust the nylon ones). The "fitting" that was supplied with the line that goes in the block dosent seem to fit for some odd reason. I was reading up on something about datsuns use 1/8" BSPT threads for the oil pressure switch instead of 1/8" NPT? Is that true? If so, what kind of fitting did you guys use to convert to regular 1/8" NPT for the gauge fitting? I would also like to run a T fitting so I can still use the factory idiot light. Pics would be great.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Saturday, and us west coast types, who have lots of Datsuns are beginning to wake up.

The oil fitting on the engine is BSP. You want an Edelmann #265220. It has a 1/8-28 BSP male end, that will screw into the engine block. The other end is female, 1/8-27 NPT.

the light switch is actually two independent switches. One switch controls the headlights, and the switch is on the ground side of the headlights. The other of the switch controls the "minor" lights.

Turn the light switch all off. Remove the two headlight fuses. that should leave only one terminal on the light switch with power. turn on the light switch. the power should go through the switch to one other terminal. This is power out to all the "minor" lights.

Another option is to find the electrical connections to the stock radio. One of these wires is also fed from the light switch, and only has power when the lights are on