carbs rebuild

spook420

hey Ratsun fans!!

im a 1st time owner/builder of a 1970 Datsun 510 Wagon "Mary"(12/69). just too start it off here a link to my pics. among all the thing i want to do the this car, i need to get it running smoothly 1st. right now im looking for a rebuld kit for a 32/36 DGVA33A weber and DGAV33B1 weber carbs and any other info for future reference.

also whats an easier way to tighten this nut(throttle linkage nut). i dont have a wrench or socket that thin to tighten it. sometime hand tighting isnt good enough. lol :)

http://i.imgur.com/L7lYM.jpg

now im just securing some spark plugs(wires); coil, maybe a distributor. anything else i should change/replace/ go over? not sure how much it was run by previous owner but he bought it for his girlfriend. he is some sort of a car person, the roadster and the ford coupe he built(from the pictures). he also had a 1947 crosley and 1950 mercury coupe that he chopped and modified over the years. needles to say he maintains cars.

btw i live in south of Tampa and i bought the car for a guy in Gainesville.

talk to ya all later

spook

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't change the distributor without the need to. No shaft play is okay. Just put in fresh points/condenser and go! If you need a good points dizzy/coil just let me know! I have some spares that are perfect sigging around off my truck.

Also, any Weber 32/36 rebuild kit will work. Easiest carb you'll ever work on! Before you do that though, get a fresh set of points, condenser, plugs, etc in there and see how she runs. Don't forget to set timing. Point gap is .19 to .21 I think? Don't quote me on that... I'm not 100%.

Chances are the carb is fine. If anything, clean the idle jets on the sides (small brass screws pull the jet straight out) and clean them and the passages with carb cleaner.

Welcome by the way! I'll be moving to Daytona FL soon in the coming months. Good to know I won't be the only Datsun.

I never use a rebuild kit on my webers. The gasket usually comes off clean and can be reused.

Don't take the carb apart except as a last resort. Give the engine a complete tune up first. You don't need to buy anything except a new set of points/condensor.

1. Retorque the cylinder head bolts

2. Re-gap spark plugs to spec

3. Replace points & condensor. Gap the points to spec

4. Start engine and set timing to stock specs

5. Warm up engine and set valve lash to spec

6. Warm engine back up and set idle speed and idle mixture

Any repair manual that covers a 510 will have the details. Or you can get one from the local Library.

If it don't run smooth after that, it should be diagnosed before you start replacing parts or taking things apart. There are a lot of 40 year old Datsuns running fine with original parts.

Don't change the distributor without the need to. No shaft play is okay. Just put in fresh points/condenser and go! If you need a good points dizzy/coil just let me know! I have some spares that are perfect sigging around off my truck.

Also, any Weber 32/36 rebuild kit will work. Easiest carb you'll ever work on! Before you do that though, get a fresh set of points, condenser, plugs, etc in there and see how she runs. Don't forget to set timing. Point gap is .19 to .21 I think? Don't quote me on that... I'm not 100%.

Chances are the carb is fine. If anything, clean the idle jets on the sides (small brass screws pull the jet straight out) and clean them and the passages with carb cleaner.

Welcome by the way! I'll be moving to Daytona FL soon in the coming months. Good to know I won't be the only Datsun.

I never use a rebuild kit on my webers. The gasket usually comes off clean and can be reused.

Don't take the carb apart except as a last resort. Give the engine a complete tune up first. You don't need to buy anything except a new set of points/condensor.

1. Retorque the cylinder head bolts

2. Re-gap spark plugs to spec

3. Replace points & condensor. Gap the points to spec

4. Start engine and set timing to stock specs

5. Warm up engine and set valve lash to spec

6. Warm engine back up and set idle speed and idle mixture

Any repair manual that covers a 510 will have the details. Or you can get one from the local Library.

If it don't run smooth after that, it should be diagnosed before you start replacing parts or taking things apart. There are a lot of 40 year old Datsuns running fine with original parts.

sorry i meant just a cap and a rotor. not that good of a mechanic yet to do any kind of transplanting like that. :) your close on the points gaps . yes i have a manual its said .018-.022 the 1st filter on the carb is trashed and need a replacement.. the float has fluid in it. it kinda runs lol