Parts needed for Megasquirt II setup.

josh_t

I am really interested in setting up a megasquirt system on my A14. I think it would be wise to start looking for parts to use right now. My idea is to use a GA16DE upper intake manifold and build a custom lower intake portion to mount up to the head and the upper portion. It will be complete with injector bungs and all, obviously. I wouldnt be doing the fabreication myself but i have someone who can do it for me. I noticed that megasquirt.info said i need a crank signal. Thats my first question. What can i use to tell the ECU the crank angle (or cam angle via distributor)? I have done a lot of research on the amount of time and calculation and what all is involved in doing this, so you dont have to inform me.

EDIT: i checked a wiring diagram for the MSII v3.0 board and it said coil negative was acceptable for crank positioning.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you have any questions? See my MegaSquirt for A-series overview: MegaSquirt

The Megasquirt II will work just as well.

man i'm on datsun1200. i should have searched there right after i searched here. i feel like i should be on there more than here cuz its sunny based not just general datsun. i'll probably think of some more questions.

i think i've decided to go with MS II v3.0 for the IAC system. if i use the GA16 upper manifold it has most of the necessary sensors attached to it already and i like the idea of having the IAC system. And the automatic mixture is nice so that the engine can "learn" what it likes best.

EDIT: and v3.0 supports MAF, which is part of the original EFI system for the GA16. so the more i look at it, the more i realize i am just converting an a14 to a GA16 EFI with custom tuning. i wonder if, since its a MAF system, i could run it with an original ECU?

wow. i really want to MS but if its that easy i'll just have to try it first. i know they are both economy engines about the same size so the hardest part seems to be getting the lower manifold situation sorted out and mounting an o2 sensor. i'm assuming it would be cheaper to get the b14 sentra ecu than go with MS too if i go to a junkyard. headers would probably be more in line since there is big difference in intake flow, so exhaust flow would need an improvement as well. and it would be much easier to weld an o2 sensor bung into a header. What about the NVCS system on some GA's? can you trick the computer into thinking its working or does it matter since its an output circuit instead of input from a sensor?

GA16DE is a performance engine 116 HP. It even has variable valve timing.

A14 came in two versions: economy A14 (65HP), and performance A14 (80HP)

The cam timing doesn't matter to the ECU, it's just on or off. I would not use headers, just the stock A14 exhaust manifold with an O2 bung welded to the exhaust pipe close to the manifold.

There are two EFI manifolds for the A14, the stock factory Datsun A14E manifold and the Buffalo aftermarket EFI manifold. You can also use a twin DCOE manifold.

i know someone who does lots of custom work on trucks and stuff. he does a lot of custom frame work for mud boggers and things like that. and i have access to solidworks so i can print out blue prints for this stuff too. and i can probably go up to tennessee and use the machines back at my old high school that i learned on to make the flanges. i could make those in a couple hours if i had the metal for it. i'll have to measure the stock flange thickness and see what it would need. i think i read 10mm somewhere.