520 idler arm and outer tie rod end

As promised.... 300 and something dollars later with a new tie rod..... It does handle a whole lot better tho. :D

P.S - don't ask me about the huge gash in the mount behind it... I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking... I'll change it when the CA is in. Right now, I just don't want to know about it, if it shears straight thru and drops the engine, then so be it....

IMG_1124.jpg

I see it also has a custom centerlink, never seen one like that before, the stock centerlink is supposed to be put in from the top like the tierod, that one goes in the bottom and is held with 2 nuts.

The previous owner took some liberties with your truck.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YEP! it has tons of play too, but that doesn't really matter.

Sure it matters, and the centerlink can be bought at the auto parts store over here today, new.

They don't make controlable emergency stops when they are loose, they tend to do spins one way or the other.

I'll take a photo for you and you'll see what I mean. The custom link is bent around the L18 sump...... the play is not lateral movement but latitudinal (big words huh). The shaft can do a quarter roll up and rests/sits in the bottom angle when normal. This would be the only movement it would experience and it would have to be one hell of a stoppie (emergency stop) on bumps to even make it rattle slightly.

So what your saying is you have a oilpan that is to far forward in your truck, so someone flipped/made a upside down centerlink to clear the steering linkage.

Do you know what oilpan you have on the truck, L16 521 oilpan, L18 620 oilpan, or a L20b 620 oilpan?

The L16 oilpan is what you want, unless you can find one of these.

DSCN0955.jpg

DSCN0956.jpg

This oilpan has the sump in front of the steering linkage.

yep I obviously don't have that one since it is heavily modded. Mine is a stocker L18 with the lump in the middle, hence the need to drop the engine crossmember (backyard ghetto mechanic shit) and the steering link has been bent.

The crossmember is more of a worry than the linkage. It is 130mm off the ground, the legal clearance of anything in NSW Australia is 100mm. This hangs down like a drop tank waiting to be cleaned up by something when I'm not paying attention.

Again. I'll get ya some pics, I'm no where near the truck now and haven't been for days...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.