My vitamin C

guillermofergu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

From the dead... So, I got the whole manual swap thing done...I took a day or two off work and got it done. Now that I've been enjoying it for a while now, I plan on putting some goodies in it...not too soon either. My head gasket started leaking near the starter. 

Swappaaagge:

725.jpg

757.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

Goodies:

753.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

That L20B is going in that B210 in the background of the engine pic after I get done rebuilding the KA. The plan originally was to swap the A14 out for it and for me to use the L16 until the KA was ready...but things change. 

For later use with that KA under my L20B:

IMAG0255.jpg

How it sits now:

IMG_2705.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

My registration is up to date btw!! I just haven't put my new stickers on in a long time...I don't think I ever put them on since owning it, but they're in the glovebox, I promise, officer!!

I plan on frequenting this post a little more once I start rebuilding the KA and doing the supporting mods for the swap. I've been saving for a little while so I can get it done in one go. I forgot to take pictures when I installed my coilovers, but I'll get a look once I slot my rear crossmember and widen the exhaust hole, as well as when I finally install the bump steer spacers and camber plates. I was just going to rock the original plate thing that held the old strut in place, but I used an electronic hand drill and I couldn't find the right size bit so the hole ended up sloppy. 

what I've done:

T3 coilovers 

made the l16 run pretty damn good (until the radiator I got 3rd or 4th hand shit itself)

did some shitty exhaust work

got new wheels and tires

put a 5 speed in for better highway driving

to do:

beefier half axle things

r180 LSD after my r160 lsd shits itself

steering box brace because I like to turn fast and I can feel it flex all the damn time

move the battery to the trunk

I plan on making a rear sump oil pan for the KA instead of flipping the crossmember because I see too many people destroy their oil pan from curbs and pot holes and the like.

structural bracing for the KA swap. 

the actual KA swap. - I plan on overbuilding it for my goals. Some machine work...haven't looked at my insides yet to determine what needs to be done. probably will keep the head stock minus a bit of machine work.  I do plan on using some form of forced induction - tbd as I really like superchargers but turbos are far more well documented and "reliable".

All this sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it. Hell, I may be satisfied by the stock feeling KA (or L20B but I've already promised it to my gf's b210) and wait on the forced induction bit until I've started pushing the KA to its limit. 

What did you end up doing for the five speed swap? The spacers need to space the trans down about an inch.  :lol: I've recently swapped mine from auto to manual. It was quite easy actually..

Did you buy the vg30.com setup or going your own route? 

I got the vg30.com setup because I figured I was going to do a KA swap in the future. It was super easy - biggest issue I had was getting the engine and transmission mated. I just couldn't put it in the hole, ya know? Unfortunately it ended up taking us around 6 hours because of that. I destroyed my first pilot bushing because of it! 

Dude... I do know what you mean. I yarded my automatic out a few weeks ago from under the car.. Then on sunday, I spent three hours trying to stab the dogleg in... Couldn't get it... Double checked clutch alignment, good there... Just couldn't stab it in there.  Probably needed a little hair around it :lol:

So I work all day monday, get home, change clothes.... Got under the car, dragged the trans onto my chest, lifted it up and the effing thing just plopped right on in. Go figure.