My truck named Sheila

elfirebeasto

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I pulled some new seats from a dodge caravan. They are a bit wider, and have some actual sides to them. The color almost matches. I will have to get some pics tomorrow. I am about half way through a pair of adapters for them. They are definately taller than the originals, but I think I will be able to keep them sitting about as low as the originals. Also, I think I'm going to pull the back seats, so if anyone wants them give me a shout. They are blue, still operational, no rips or anything. They are just dirty. I also removed the door panels. They need clips, and I don't care enough to keep them in. Plus I like the industrial look of unskinned doors. I'm really considering just yanking the interior at this point to go ahead and trace out wiring and repair any cancer on the inside.

Well today I got the new seats in. It only cost me 16 bucks for steel and a couple hours of my time to make adapters. The new captains chairs (with arm rests) are a lot more comfy than the old ones, and with the butt cupping of the bucket, they hold your ass a lot better for those wheel spinning take-offs. Will do pics tomorrow.

Was the 90 amp. that big of an upgrade? I don't know what amperage my alt is? Its a JY alt. Wish I knew...

I want to run more lights. Have 4 5" Hella's on it right now. And it isnt that bad, no dimming or anything... Wonder if its an upgraded, vs stock.

Stock 720s had 50/60 amp alternators.

Yeah, but at least the seats function far better than the originals. They hold your ass in place a lot better when driving in unfriendly terrain. They don't however work well enough to keep the wife from screaming and saying omg we are going to roll over holy shit I'm gunna die. Ahh yeah, I had fun

My exhaust got cut off slightly behind the cab. I was thinkin of putting a little stack between the cab and bed, but I'm not sure how it'd look. But a straight pipe off of the collector and turned down under the seat sounds freakin awesome! And here is an opinion based question for everyone: would it be worth it to grab another Z24 and rebuild it then swap it in or just find somethin like a ka24 to toss in? If I were to get another Z, I was going to toss in a cam and weber carb.

Ok this is what I found. I told the guy to hold it til the end of june when I can pick it up http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/3013538714.html KA24DE red top! All there even ecu...well all but the harness, but the truck needs rewired anyway. They said it got pulled from a 240 because a RB25DET got swapped in. I guess we will see if it comes to fruition.

That was my plan. I mean hell running or not, at that price it doesn't matter. Parts can be found and replaced. The only thing I can't readily fix is the ecu, but that could be replaced with a fully tunable megasquirt ecu. Cross your fingers for me. I want that beauty

Ah finally, now we have music to listen to! I just finished putting in a media receiver, two speakers, an amp and two subs. So now she sings with a nice bit of thump. At some point the sub box will need replaced with a custom box, but I don't have the time at the moment to go through the whole process of building a fiberglass box. Oh and the lack of funding at the end of the audio install.

Can someone who knows a lot about these trucks please verify the validity of this site: http://www.off-road....project912.html If the information is true and correct, perhaps this would be of use to others

ALSO: If I were to acquire that ka24de, how hard would it be to make it fit? I mean, I have come to understand that I need a new oil pan and a new oil pickup to clear the diff...or is it a new pump? and a higher pressure fuel pump. Would I need anything else? I don't want to waste the money if the swap is beyond the scope of my ability. I searched the 720 forum for the key term ka24de and only got one thread that helped.

Well today I changed my tranny oil. That wasn't the easiest, due to the drain plug being seized to the transmission. I ended up using a suction pump and hose to suck the oil out. You need to use a fairly small diameter hose in order to get around and between gears. I used the same pump to add fluid. It shifts like butter now, but still has a bit of an issue with grinding into reverse. It helps a lot if you pop it into first prior to reverse.

I have an issue now that I would like some pointers on. My idle isn't right. Sometimes it will idle down and die other times the idle is up around 1k rpm. Maybe the carb just needs rebuilt, or maybe its something else. And when you cold start you have to pump the gas for like 2 minutes while cranking. Probably the choke malfunctioning right? What do you guys think? Stock hitachi carb, no choke (the choke is present, just doesn't work and don't know how to fix it right off hand) and a brand new fuel pump. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a carb rebuild kit and a new float. I'm not sure I know exactly how to do it, but the instructions seem pretty straight forward...an exploded view of the carb and a list of carb parts, as well as factory baseline settings. Wish me luck! I'm going to have to do this rebuild while attending a hunter's safety course. Fun stuff!

• 1 month later...

Late is better than not at all. Thank you very much! I will have to check into that. My alt keeps going out, or at least the voltage regulator keeps going out. I'm guessing a fusible link is dead somewhere, but idk where they are located, or even if there are replacements available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking there is a fuel return issue at this point. no matter how the float is adjusted, fuel just keeps filling the bowl. I think the fuel return is blocked or clogged or something. If that all turns out to be fine, I guess its back to the other possible issues. I just don't understand why I can't get the fuel level to set if that's not the case. Thanks for the tips! Those all need checked anyway.