Project Z Distraction

So I needed something more "mature" than my Colt GT to drive around. So I picked this up on New Year's Eve for myself.

IMG_0125.jpg

2003 Touring. Just missing Brembos and Nav. Heated leather is nice on a cold morning.

So now I need to sell my Colt to get cash to "finish" my 510 project. Anyone want a rare turbo car? $3000obo. PM for details.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stole it for about $12k. 99k miles in excellent shape with a Nismo exhaust and Injen intake. Had some nasty chrome wheels on it when purchased. It does have the usual bad 03-04 transmission, but the dealer gave me a power train warranty upon purchase and is replacing it with a newer 05-06 transmission.

Be forewarned, if you need to haul ANYTHING, this is not the car for you. If you want a fast car stock, this is not the car for you. But if you want a great handling car that sounds awesome and has tons of aftermarket support, take the dive. The G35 is also an excellent choice and can usually be had a few thousand cheaper.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, I haven't updated in a while because I didn't have a car. Turns out that the drivetrain warranty that came with the car doesn't have a "get the job done quickly" clause. I was without the Z for 23 days after owning the car for only 32 days. The first transmission they received didn't work (or so they say) and they took their sweet time ordering the second. Then they took their time installing the second one and didn't bother to replace any wear parts so there was a nasty squeal/whine when I pressed the clutch. And they didn't replace it with the updated transmission, but rather just a stock replacement that will eventually grind.

Anyway, on to the good news. Even though they did a piss poor job on the transmission, they at least mentioned the clutch was bad and there was a lot of material in the bellhousing. So I ordered up a JWT aluminum flywheel and clutch set. While I was at it I ordered a plenum spacer.

For those that don't know, the Z has a sloping upper intake plenum that doesn't get enough air to the front cylinders. They make simple spacers that increase the plenum size and allow more air to enter these cylinders. The upside is a 45 minute job gets you about 10hp. Add in the huge reduction in rotational mass removed from the stock dual mass flywheel, and I have a car that has about 25hp more than when I started. As a side note, the exhaust has a meaner growl and have slightly increased my fuel mileage.

As of now, I'm done modding this car. The only other additions in the foreseeable future are a racing seat so I can autocross the car and a shift knob to replace the leather one that eventually looks like crap when it wears from use. After the 510 is "done" I'll go back and do some suspension and brakes. But after spending $2500 on this car and getting a car payment, I need to turn my attention back to the 510.