Interesting 280zx strut conversion info (from Tokico)

Hey All,

the following info is open for criticism. please keep in mind that my 280zx strut housing have NOT been cut. only shaved the perch and put an adjustable sleeve for coil overs on it.

My car was used in drag racing when i bought it and i am in the process of calming it down for the street. i have no idea what my spring rates are or what parts are what so i am constantly investigating what i got. Today i pulled my strut assy's apart. The strut inside is a Tokico HZ3039.

a668724f.jpg

if you google it, you get nuthin. I called the company. they had to get back to me due to the strut actually being discontinued. So this gentleman calls me back and pulls out the old hard cover books to look it up. He tells me they are from the late 80's and designed to fit the 1980 (and im sure other models and years) Dodge Colt. I did not expect to hear that. He gave me all the pertinent information as well:

Body Length: 12.68

Extension: 19.18

Compression: 14

Tokico Does not currently have anything that matches that closely. But knowing the model they were designed for was enough for me. I went to the internet in search of 1980 Dodge Colt Struts and found them in a few brands.

Monroe Part # 73237

Body Length: 12.625

Extension: 19

Compression: 13.25

Travel: 5.75

08ac4bcb.jpg

KYB Part # 365027

Body Length: ? but similar im sure

Extension: 19.25

Compression: 13.46

Travel: 5.79

f8699b8c.jpg

In the end the only real test will be to order them and see how they perform. My tokicos are still in useable condition so i will be keeping them for the time being. but this just shows another avenue you can take with your project. AS I SAID BEFORE: mine are NOT Shortened. My assy's have a spot weld acting to stop the sleeves from settling lower. they are at 7 1/4 inches (why? i don't know) but i am sticking with what the prior owner had figured for now.

it would be awesome if a company offered strut inserts that were similar but adjustable at the top of the stem like some tokico illumina's are. probably too pricy though if they do exist.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic