My 510 Build

86 720

Picked up this almost pristine 78 510 last week from a teacher who bought it new in 78 off the CA dealership lot. Lots of history, and lots of work done to it. Through the excellent knowledge of some of my local Datsun members, it has been determined the motor was replaced with an L20B from a truck at some point. The Carb has been replaced as well at some point.

I've currently got the head off, and am doing a carb rebuild. Carb is a weber 34 DGEC, and I can only seem to find 1 repair/rebuild kit for it that is $39.00. Would it be smart to just get a new weber carb, one that has easier rebuild kits to find at cheaper prices, or should I just get the $39 one?

32/36 DGEV Datsun Replacement Carb

My overall plan for this is to keep it as stock as much as I can, even though the existing carb that came with the 510 was a replacement. The previous owner was able to keep the stock air cleaner housing.

3085227b.jpg

576784ae.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing looks clean... Find some non US bumpers and toss some Rotas or Watanabes on it :cool:

If that weber looks like a 32/26 (which it should) just buy the rebuild kit, it will work. If youre going to pay for headwork, see if you can score a closed chamber/peanut head while youve got it apart.

I'm just gonna keep the carb. for now, clean it up and re-use it. It ran well before, should run fine again. I'll keep an eye on it and plan for a future change.

Here are some of the pictures from the tear down on Saturday.

Begining

110ea1f5.jpg

0e74bc87.jpg

Carb and Cover off

dc2830b5.jpg

Oh yeah coolant!

39f5cafb.jpg

Taking it off!

18f59bf7.jpg

Also noticed that #4 was about to go as well.

0599bcb7.jpg

• 10 months later...

Here's from my rear driver's side panel clip replacement. I opened it up to get a look at why the rear window was falling, and ended up replacing all the clips while I was at it.

Panel off.

DSC04829.jpg

Door Innards:

DSC04830.jpg

The reason the window was falling down. Looks as if pressure and adhesive keeps the window on the regulator.

DSC04831.jpg

New clips:

DSC04832.jpg

Pictures from my speaker overhaul project..

What a difference modern speakers vs. circa 1981 speakers make!

Old Jensen, 60W speakers. Paper cone, paper everything... These were well made, and I didn't see any stress in solder joints, wiring or speakers.

DSC04837.jpg

Jensen on right, new Pioneer on left.

DSC04835.jpg

DSC04833.jpg

Whoever installed these kinda did a hack job.

DSC04834.jpg

Finished!

DSC04836.jpg