510 2 door rear shock question...

Dirttrack510

I asked this in my build page for the race car, but figured I'd put it here too...

I'm wondering if anyone knows what length shock I need. My car will be lowered in the back and I've heard that lots of guys run 68 camaro rear shock, but I don't know how long those are. I'm wondering if anyone has the compressed and extended lengths of these shocks. Here's a link to the shocks I'm looking at for the race car.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Steel-Body-Stock-Mount-Shocks-1968-79-Nova-A-Type,41178.html

Does anyone know if these will work? :unsure:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this is covered to some extent in DimeQuarterly V:10 I:4. In the article:

Tech How-To: Koni Sport Shock Installation — After assessing the handling of his 510, Ted Hedman researched and installed a pair of Koni yellows. He compares the Koni Sport shocks to Tokico Illuminas and shows the steps necessary to (simply) modify the shocks for installation in a 510.

IIRC he installs Mustang rear shocks. No idea of the year or anything though.

Don't know if this helps you but I have a brand new NOS pair of Interpart Mulholland rear shocks I would sell. These are the ones sold by BRE back in the day.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I just don't know if they would have the right valving for dirt track racing on a slick track with really soft suspension. I'm sure they would be much better than the stock shocks though. I'll let ya know...