Datsun 720 Build

Nathyne

Here is my Datsun 720 named Bobette :)

Started this progrect about 10 months ago or so

Plans are:

ka24e swap

toyota axles front and rear (sas front obviously)

Going to build it as lowish want to be able to tow stuff with it such as a small travel trailer (building one after i finish off my Skyline GTR and this truck) or boat

cut and weld a ton of rust out want to try and save the bed unlikely i think though we will see

paint dark blue

add some bucket seats maybe upgrade my gtrs and use them

turbo and intercool my ka24e going to keep it tame and just go for around 200whp

so obviously some of this stuff is done :) pics incoming!

img2011042100007.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is when i first got her

z22 engine 235k kms paid 500$

img2011042400013.jpg

old tired dirty engine previous owner thought it burnt oil but really it ran so rich it bellowed black smoke was the slowest thing i have ever driven! including my 52hp diesel golf

calgary2011061900074.jpg

pulling off body panels was going to fix all the rust in the front here but ended up just putting it back together will do rust repair next summer

img2011061200058.jpg

replaced all my old bushing in my rear suspension these were a bitch x a thousand to get off

img2011061200062.jpg

picture of the nasty on the box seam, scares me it is caked in bondo and paint is cracking everywhere on the box have a feeling there is more bondo than metal

calgary2011062800004.jpg

out with the old!

img2011081200018.jpg

img2011081200021p.jpg

in with the new! this is a ka out of a 240sx had 114kms and was very clean I had to modify the oil pan used a D21 and modded it to clear the block supports. Needed to modify the mounts just cut them in half set the engine where I wanted it with both halves bolted in then tacked pulled out and welded.

floorvv.jpg

The very solid driver side mount under the lack of floorpan i cut out lol, cut the rusted part out welded some 1/8" plate and drilled a hole in it for a bolt. The bolt will stick slightly out of the floor but doesn't really bother me and it is holding the cab to the frame now at least!

tiresn.jpg

New rims! off of a wagoneer replaced my old rusted steel ones has 30 inch tires on them for now, will most likely get 31-33s depending on how low i can do the sas just want to do mild off roading and pull 2-3000 lbs (hopefully my 4 speed can handle it? who knows lol ka d21s were rated to 3500 lbs so think i should be able to handle it may need to raise the back a bit more than the front so i don't lose flex off road and so it doesn't sag when pulling a trailer haven't really thought it through yet.

That is all i have for pictures now seem to have lost the ones with my custom intake but not keeping it anyways going to relocate the battery and put the filter there any ideas where to relocate the battery to? thinking under the bed but then can't really drive through water can I? have an optima redtop to go in could silicone the terminals or something and stick it in a box can be waterproof with an optima right? it is a sealed battery.

Anyways any opinions or suggestions feel free to post them this is my first project of the magnitude most stuff i do is swapping parts specifically designed for the vehicle :P

Also next on the to do list is to pull off the bed grind/sand the frame down maybe add a bit of strength (saw an awesome thing on gearz where he added a bunch of stuff to a project called sgt rock if anyone has seen it might do something like that) at the very least grind/sand and coat in por15 if it all turns out to be surface rust as it appears to be.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you planning to run for ECU on your KA24ET? I spent a pretty good while doing all the research on building one for my 240sx before I just left it alone and starting working on suspension. Good luck with build. I have 2 720's in addition to a 240sx. :)

• 5 months later...

Long overdue for me to work on my truck again have been quite busy with my car and some renovation projects recently.

SAS is well under way have a narrowed dana 44 cut all the IFS out and ground most of it smooth still have a bit more to do of that also have some steel on order to make brackets.

Pics:

Calgary_20120702_00056.jpg

Ground down frame and just looking at where my leafs need to mount and stuff

Calgary_20120702_00057.jpg

Shot of the housing under the truck.

Once i get the rectangular steel tubing and flat stock I ordered I will start making the frame extension and the brackets for the leafs. Frame will be extended about 8-12 inches depending where I want my axle to sit.

Have a picture of all the IFS crap I cut out but doesn't seem to want to send to my email... so that's it for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Got my steel 4 x 2 tubing .188 wall

here are some pictures

Calgary_20120714_00080.jpg

Calgary_20120714_00079.jpg

didn't like how small the frame became so extended the tubing way back and it will be welded the whole way then I wont be adding a bunch of extra leverage on the smallest part of the frame with the extensions

Calgary_20120714_00082.jpg

The front will be chopped off after the cross member just welded the other plate on to keep it square when i tack it on. I am not finish welding any of it as I only have a 99$ cheapo flux welder just tacking it all on then paying someone to come and weld the rest maybe some day I will have a 240v welder...

Should be putting on the frame and leaf spring brackets I made tomorrow hopefully will have her sitting on her wheels again soon! hoping to keep the lift no more than 6" but we will see how much up travel will suffer

Also any recommendations for a transfer case? would love a d21 transmission with an atlas but that wont happen any time soon lol. will most likely just stick with the divorced one for now

Another edit I picked up a tach cluster for 35$ and a new carpet (front was missing) for 8$ from pick n pull had two 720s! normally never have them :) now if I could find one with a good box or maybe a kc to swap onto mine... another stage later down the road I think :)