turbo J13 or J15??

shano1300

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe dig a bit into Moss superchargers? The J was based on British MGB b-series engines. Even the heads swap. And i have always wondered if a moss can work. As I recall Moss suggests that you use it on 5 bearing main engines, and I think the J-13 is a 3-main. Not sure about the J15. But I think it had to do with the pulley alignment or something. Can't remember.

DSCN0805.jpg

Or if you are really feeling crazy. Cross flow heads. One site says "expect around 180bhp at the flywheel with a nice cam and pair of weber 45DCOE carbs."

mgb28m.jpg

those moss superchargers are around about $4k not to mention the cost of importing it! thats a little to high for me, because i still have to rebuild the motor and do work to it too.

i could be pretty keen on the alloy crossflow head option. it looks pretty cool too!! something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230620025005?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

just need to know for sure if it will fit a J13. dont want to spend $$$$ if i get it here and it doesnt fit.

i can see it getting out of control. i want to get bang for my buck. so if that means spending a couple of k on the motor and a turb. so be it.

those moss superchargers are around about $4k not to mention the cost of importing it! thats a little to high for me, because i still have to rebuild the motor and do work to it too.

i could be pretty keen on the alloy crossflow head option. it looks pretty cool too!! something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230620025005?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

just need to know for sure if it will fit a J13. dont want to spend $$$$ if i get it here and it doesnt fit.

i can see it getting out of control. i want to get bang for my buck. so if that means spending a couple of k on the motor and a turb. so be it.

That is it! If it bolts on to a mgb b-series, it should bolt on to the J. Do some googling on mgb w/ Datsun heads. Add site:ratsun.net to your search. There has been a bit of talk about it on here.

Hard to say if the gains would be worth it when you can get a SR for the cost of this head alone. But the cool factor would be off the charts. And it would stay J. I've thought about it for my 1959 Datsun.

has anyone considered an amr500 supercharger?? theyre small, compact and should make a little bit of power out of the old J. ive been doing as much research as i can on them today, and they seem reliable and easy to install, and at under $400 could be a goer!!

I've not heard of anyone boosting a J. You will be a trailblazer! Look forward to what you find out on the amr500.