WTB R200 LSD

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not confuse the thread - Z32 diff is a short-nose R200 and is useless for 99% of our cars. S-chassis (13 / 14) cars didn't have LSD.

I'm guessing the OP wants a longnose R200 LSD (found in the 87-89 300ZX), which is useful for S30 and S130 swaps, and is what everyone and their mother is looking for (including me).

Last few I've found have been $700+.

If you're building a 510, you're more likely to find an R160 LSD from a Subaru, which will be more in-line with Ratsun pricing. There's no need for an R200 unless you;re making huge power.

• Like 1

AZhitman hit it on the nose. Have to add, the '88 Shiro [Japanese for white] Edition Z31 was the ONLY longnose viscous LSD R200 that I know of. All other Z31 TURBO models from '87 - '89 were clutch LSDs but there is a gap in the early part of '87 so take note.

I sold an R160 LSD for $350 two years ago, much cheaper than the expensive R200 longnose LSD, and they can be had for about that now +/- $100.

Also to echo AZhitman, the R160 is a much better choice for the 510, it is smaller, lighter, and easier to adapt to that chassis. Only thing is I've never seen a finned cover for it like on the R200.

Let's not confuse the thread - Z32 diff is a short-nose R200 and is useless for 99% of our cars. S-chassis (13 / 14) cars didn't have LSD.

Both S13 and 14s did have LSD although viscous equipped. The S13 was a long nose R200 and the S14 was short.

I'm guessing the OP wants a longnose R200 LSD (found in the 87-89 300ZX), which is useful for S30 and S130 swaps, and is what everyone and their mother is looking for (including me).

The longnose saves needing to lengthen your driveshaft and is a true clutch LSD but the shorter one will be lighter, cheaper, and more than enough for a 4 cylinder motor.

If you're building a 510, you're more likely to find an R160 LSD from a Subaru, which will be more in-line with Ratsun pricing. There's no need for an R200 unless you;re making huge power.

Very true and should be the deciding factor.

I'm gonna feel like a heel for disagreeing with the guy whose posts I look to for advice, but here goes (love ya, Mike):

Both S13 and 14s did have LSD although viscous equipped. The S13 was a long nose R200 and the S14 was short.

Not in the US. US-spec S-chassis cars all had open short R200's (except the rare S13 HICAS cars, and those diff's are notoriously a PITA to retrofit).

The longnose saves needing to lengthen your driveshaft and is a true clutch LSD but the shorter one will be lighter, cheaper, and more than enough for a 4 cylinder motor.

The shorter R200 is still a pig. It was used in a ton of cars (Q45, J30, R32, Z32 n/a, etc). The longnose R160, which we're all recommending, was 20+ lbs lighter than the short R200... I just pulled one out of my Z and swapped it for a long R160.

Is 400whp enough to need a r200 LSD? Im Putting it in my SR 510. I have a 3.9 open dif but I need a LSD. I already have the mustache bar. Yes I'm looking for a long nose.

Several noted turbo VG cars are running R160's, including several I hang out with locally. On a side note, a 400whp SR is a rare beast - not disputing you, just saying, if you can afford a 450hp SR build, you should be looking at new aftermarket diffs. I'd know, I've been running 240sx.org for 15 years :)

You're not necessarily gaining "durability / strength" with a LSD, you're gaining traction. An R200 open diff can handle 400hp (altho torque is the real concern) all day long, it's just a matter of boiling one tire vs. two. Our RB-swapped S30 with the open R200 was not terribly fun to drive with the open diff, and is a joy with the R160 LSD.

I have #38420-40F66 as a Viscous LSD differential assy for '91 and up S13 and '94-'96 S14s.

20 pounds? Only a problem when lifting them in and out, otherwise same as two 10 pound bags of sugar on the back seat for traction.

I have #38420-40F66 as a Viscous LSD differential assy for '91 and up S13 and '94-'96 S14s.

20 pounds? Only a problem when lifting them in and out, otherwise same as two 10 pound bags of sugar on the back seat for traction.

20lbs is a big deal when you're 6'1", 163 lbs and you're swapping one on your back. :)

S13 HICAS (quite rare) had VLSD - VERY expensive option. S14's had to be specifically ordered with the factory-option VLSD (also pricey, you could almost get a Z for less than a SE-version S14), and in all my years of dealing with S-chassis cars, I've NEVER seen an OEM -equipped one... Easy to tell by the 18th character in the model number (not the VIN number).

I've no doubt there's a part number for it, I'm just saying I've never seen one so equipped (and I've played with TONS of S-chassis cars).

I have been looking for a r160 CLSD but have had little luck. I have a buddy with a 370 hp 510 that has an r160 and has never had problems with it but I also know guys with l20b's that have blown them.... This is my first built motor ever and I have been told 400whp is easy with my setup. I'm running 1.5 cosworth head gasket, 86.5 cp pistons with 8.5 comp, hks step 1 cams and cam gears, garret 57 trim 60 ar turbo.

Sounds like a solid start - Again, I'm not disputing the #'s, but then again, I've never been a "numbers-chaser" (I leave that to the Super Street kids ;) ). I'm always naturally skeptical when people throw around dyno numbers before a motor is built.

For 450+ flywheel HP, you're going to be running big boost. I think you'll find that 250 whp in an old Datsun (without significant chassis improvements) makes for a hellaciously-fun (and sketchy) ride. I can't imagine 400+, and I've owned a LOT of high-hp cars. My 250-hp 240Z is a handful, and that's with a lot of suspension improvements. :)

Regardless of how the numbers turn out, you may want to consider an aftermarket diff (Cusco, KAAZ, NISMO...)

(Sorry if I helped derail this thread - My bad! :) )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.