A87 head and exhaust manifold question

Lee R

An A87 head has square exhaust ports right? So does the exhaust manifold need to be square as well? I have a stock exhaust manifold bolted up and everything seems to be fine however I have seen headers for sale that state it is a "square port header". I have also seen square port gaskets.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really do NOT want to run the round-port manifold (or even moreso, a round port header) with a square port head. It's a pretty significant restriction due to the eclipsed opening, and gasket life will be extremely short if you used the round-port gasket. It's always best to run matched, though a square-port manifold works on a round-port head in a pinch. The ONLY round-port factory heads are N56, N58, and W58 heads. Everything else (210, 219, A87, W53, U60, U67, V912) are square port.

You really do NOT want to run the round-port manifold (or even moreso, a round port header) with a square port head. It's a pretty significant restriction due to the eclipsed opening, and gasket life will be extremely short if you used the round-port gasket. It's always best to run matched, though a square-port manifold works on a round-port head in a pinch. The ONLY round-port factory heads are N56, N58, and W58 heads. Everything else (210, 219, A87, W53, U60, U67, V912) are square port.

Copy that...thanks!