Cheap 620 Bench Seat Fix

Andreas

I was tired of having a ratty looking bench in my cab. I went to the local pick and pull and found a 520 bench in pretty good condition, but I really did not want to spend $45. I thought about re upholstering the seat myself, but the materials were not cheap either. I did not want to put in buckets as I wanted to be able to fit in my 2 sons on trips.

I’ve got a Suzuki Esteem wagon with a blown engine which is going to the scrap yard soon. I took the Rear bench out of that and grafted it on to the 620 seat frame. No real modification required. The brackets from the Suzuki bench even fit the 620 swivel lock perfectly, so I just bent the Suzuki bench brackets and that held it in place. I removed all the springs from the 620 frame, and placed a pine plank on the frame as support. Everything is held together with Zip Ties and Pipe Clamps. I even got the benefit of having a head rest.

New comfy seat which cost me nothing some time. The longest part was removing the spring cushion as I was saving the rings holding them in as I wanted the option of returning the seat to stock if I wanted to.

Nothing special but cheap.

Picks below. Pretty self explanatory.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Adam for the Tip.

Here is the before Pic:

Cab.jpg

Here is the seat I chose NOT to buy:

PickandPull.jpg

Here is the seat before I tore it down:

Before.jpg

Here is the Naked Frame with the board as support:

Board.jpg

Picture shows how the new seat brackets were bent to hook into the latch for the backrest:

Latch.jpg

Finished Product:

Done.jpg

I agree, the 521 would have looked better, I was really tempted to get it and am still toying around with it. But with this solution its zero money out, and this way the other seat is still out there if i decide to go for it, or if some other datsun fan finds it. Its at the Newark Pick and pull on Mowry by the way if any Bay Area people are looking for one.

Nothing personal but I woulda picked up that 520 seat. It looks pretty good even with the small tear. I'd try to put it in my KC. But the finished product looks good.