timing questions

Happy holidays to everyone and happy late turkey day to ya's (reception is horrible where I live)

Ok down to business, my swap went well and the engine runs STRONG!!!!!! which amazed me. I removed ALL emissions stuff as well! I set the ignition timing by the label on the truck that the engine came out of which was a 84??? 720 2wd auto, that was set up to be z24s Carb... 3 degrees BTDC, but when it was swapped into my truck 1986.5 hardbody 2wd auto, I converted the engine over to z24I TBI which is what my truck came with originaly, so I set the timing @ 3 degrees BTDC. My label that gives the ignition info for BTDC on the hardbody is missing because hood was changed before I got it and no one thought about keeping that label with the hood that replaced it.

NOW that I got this engine running decent I've ran into a few problems that I might can fix or maybe not if its because I removed emissions stuff. Being that I don't have a tach I cant see what RPM's its running @ but it seems abit high. when trying to start the truck it hesitates like its low on battery power or I have huge amounts of compression. Would the timing be abit different for my ignition being its TBI and not CARB? what other way can I find out what the ignition timing is for my hardbody? why are there different degrees in timing for the same engines? Thanks!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the timing be abit different for my ignition being its TBI and not CARB?

YES, it will be different. But not by much.

All Datsun engines run OK on 5 to 7 degrees advance. which is not enough to cause starter problems. Also it might run best at some other setting, but will run OK at 5-7.

3 degrees is relatively retarded. It is done for emission control probably.

EFI engines often have a pre-set timing, for which you need to disconnect (or connect) two special wires before you can set the distributor spark timing correctly.

YES, it will be different. But not by much.

All Datsun engines run OK on 5 to 7 degrees advance. which is not enough to cause starter problems. Also it might run best at some other setting, but will run OK at 5-7.

3 degrees is relatively retarded. It is done for emission control probably.

EFI engines often have a pre-set timing, for which you need to disconnect (or connect) two special wires before you can set the distributor spark timing correctly.

Thanks for the info, which 2 wires are the special wires if my truck has these special wires? BTW I used a timing light IF anyone was curious as to how I set the timing.

Dunno. You should look in a manual for the year of 720 the TBI system came out of. The library will have a manual.

I have read my manual but it just keeps telling me to read that label under the hood which I do not have. My TBI in my hardbody came from factory in that hardbody. I'm going to scratch my head abit more and see what I can come up with. I guess I'm just looking for an exact number because I don't want to be "off" any at all but I guess times like these close is good enough lol.