turn signal switch wont release

haze

so i havent cracked this bad boy open yet to see whats going on because electrically everything works great. my only problem is that the switch wont release after a turn. i don't believe this to be an issue worthy of replacement with an expensive and/or ugly universal switch and i haven't found any definitive awnsers for repair online. i hate being behind that guy that is steady turning into nowhere and dont want to be him. any ideas? this is a low priority project but is sucking up alot of my brainwaves at the moment

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe the steering wheel is stock? its in really bad shape with with the center cracked away exposing the nut and i have no point of reference being this is the only datsun i have ever owned. i plan on cracking the thing open in about a month or so. wanted to check with the guru's first before i did something potentially stupid

Pull the steering wheel and look for the roll pins that actuate the release on the signal switch.

Pic is of a stock 510 wheel. the 2 smaller holes at 12 and 6 o'clock are where the roll pins were...I removed them and used them elsewhere.

DSC_00081.JPG

If the pins are present on your wheel then the switch may be bad. Not sure on a 521 but not all cars have the pins in the same clock orientation so your mileage may vary.

there is some evidence the previous owner messed with the thing, i found an old set of wires conected to a half moon piece of metal that ran from the switch when i was cleaning out my truck. maybe he lost the pins when he removed the steering wheel.