how much for a j16?

shano1300

hey guys n gals,

im new to the datto world, and i recently bought a 411 wagon with a j13 in it. i have been offered a j16 which has been sitting around (out of a car) for about 10 years, all bolt on come with it, stored dry, in a shed. he said it was running when he bought the car but replaced it with a L20b.

seeing as though this is all new to me, how much should i be looking at paying for the j16 roughly?

cheers

shane

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Look forward to pics of that 411! (you should start a project thread.)

A J16 is really rare in the US as we never got them here, so any that came over were bought in Japan. So it is hard to give you a price. J13 here are pretty cheap, when they come up as people are upgrading their 411s and 520 pick-ups.

Supply in Aus is likely way more than here.

Also the MGB B-series engines are a close fit and even bolt in the 411. (May have to figure out trans lineup.)The J-series was based on the British B-series engines. Maybe look at a British B-series 1800 engine for a price comparison?

They made a J18 too, (and a 6 cyl J20) but we also never got them here.

ahh k.. cool cool. that gives me some sorta idea. not too expensive ey! the old j13 is ok, but has no power at all!! thinking about buying this j16, rebuilding it and doing a little bit of work to it, to get a couple extra hp out of it.

the next hurdle will be brakes, but will try to cover that in my thread, which i will hopefully be able to do start tonight!!

cheers shane

ahh k.. cool cool. that gives me some sorta idea. not too expensive ey! the old j13 is ok, but has no power at all!! thinking about buying this j16, rebuilding it and doing a little bit of work to it, to get a couple extra hp out of it.

the next hurdle will be brakes, but will try to cover that in my thread, which i will hopefully be able to do start tonight!!

cheers shane

Check out the mods done to the british MGBs. Might cross over. Cross flow heads, superchargers. Those brits have learned to get every HP out of this design.