74 620 confusion...

Hi guys i'm new to this forum, and to owning a datsun pickup! well, my truck had a 4spd in it and i bought a 5 speed from a guy a couple towns over, it has a dogleg shift pattern and he said it came out of a 77-79 620 pickup?? it bolted up behind the L18, everything fit correctly with a driveshaft mod and now, the clutch wont engage... even with the slave completely unhooked it still wont engage the clutch. i'm stumped because both transmissions (4spd i took out and 5spd i put in) both have 24 splines. did they have a different clutch in the later years? If i could get some better knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

Hi guys i'm new to this forum, and to owning a datsun pickup! well, my truck had a 4spd in it and i bought a 5 speed from a guy a couple towns over, it has a dogleg shift pattern and he said it came out of a 77-79 620 pickup?? it bolted up behind the L18, everything fit correctly with a driveshaft mod and now, the clutch wont engage... even with the slave completely unhooked it still wont engage the clutch. i'm stumped because both transmissions (4spd i took out and 5spd i put in) both have 24 splines. did they have a different clutch in the later years? If i could get some better knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

You need correct throw out bearing collar and clutch fork and the dogleg comes from the 200sx first gen YO!!!

Couple of things:

1) The dogleg never came in trucks. It's from a '77-79 200SX or a 78-79 510. If you'd gotten a truck 5-speed it wouldn't be a dogleg AND it wouldn't have required a driveshaft mod.

2) The reason the clutch won't engage is because you have a clutch throwout collar on there that's too long. I'm betting that you used the one that came in the dogleg, which was set up for the car-style 200mm clutch. You have a 225mm clutch, and you probably needed to use the throwout collar from your old 4-speed. However, no doglegs were ever used with a 225mm clutch, so it's possible the combination simply won't work and you'll need to find an even shorter throwout collar.

Either way, the trans will have to come off again.

Guest kamakazi620

Couple of things:

1) The dogleg never came in trucks. It's from a '77-79 200SX or a 78-79 510. If you'd gotten a truck 5-speed it wouldn't be a dogleg AND it wouldn't have required a driveshaft mod.

2) The reason the clutch won't engage is because you have a clutch throwout collar on there that's too long. I'm betting that you used the one that came in the dogleg, which was set up for the car-style 200mm clutch. You have a 225mm clutch, and you probably needed to use the throwout collar from your old 4-speed. However, no doglegs were ever used with a 225mm clutch, so it's possible the combination simply won't work and you'll need to find an even shorter throwout collar.

Either way, the trans will have to come off again.

True true ^^^^^ I'm running a dogleg in a 1974 620,I have a 225 L18 flywheel and i used the front section driveline from a late 72 620,it also had the factory 200sx T/O bearing collar,I used a 1984 720 clutch fork as the original was damaged

Guest kamakazi620

thank you guys a lot! tomorrow i'll have it out from under my truck and measure the T/O bearing collars. i'll give it a shot with the 4-spd bearing collar and see if it works. if not i'll probly be back with more overlooked-obvious questions

Measure Both collars and use the shortest one if their the same lengh Time to goto junkyard for a short one