what size is the hole on top of the valve cover?

chilibiskits4

Don't have the datto with me to measure at the moment, but I need the size to purchase a new air breather for it....and another question, right now there's a hose connectting that vent to under the filter in the carb...once I get the air filter dealy, do I just plug up the orifice underthecarb filter too?...or do I leave it open...

Sorry if this is a noob question

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the datto with me to measure at the moment, but I need the size to purchase a new air breather for it....and another question, right now there's a hose connectting that vent to under the filter in the carb...once I get the air filter dealy, do I just plug up the orifice underthecarb filter too?...or do I leave it open...

Sorry if this is a noob question

That's the proper way to have it connected. Fumes are drawn into the motor and burned. Those little blue filters, though trendy, allow those fumes out under the hood, maybe even into the cab. If yours is an oil burner the filter will get wet with oil and drip on everything.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want you can run the hose off the air cleaner into a chrome air breather and into the valve cover. I got the idea from a fellow ratsun from Missouri. There's a thread from 2009 on ratsun. Search for it using google advanced sticky in General Section, if you are still interested.

And the purpose of that would be .... looks? The air coming from the air filter is... filtered. That's why it comes from there to keep dust out of the engine oil. Any in line filter will leak fumes and/or oil into the engine compartment.

Yes, for looks and fun only, the chrome cap is a conduit for the air which would be going through the black air hose as intended by Datsun engineers.

Nicer look than that black air hose which is why I did it. My hoses are very tightly fitted, it took several attempts to find the right chrome cap. I have no leakage. OIC's are in an older thread.