unknown divorced trans

817204x4

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 720 had a divorced transfer case on the 4x4. There was a primary driveshaft from the transmission to it and a front and rear driveshaft from the transfer case to the front and rear differentials.

The transmission is bolted to the motor and is not divorced. You mention being bolted to a Z22 and having 1st and 2nd so the transmission?

The sloppy shifter is easy to fix but what does jerky mean exactly? Motors can be jerky. Transmissions are noisy. Describe how it runs and shifts.

Not sure what the tranny is curious as too what I can replace the one in there with or stock? It runs high idle I'm assuming is all the vacuum I need to replace. I can release the clutch slow with no gas and go in first but jerky like whiplash style lol seconds not as bad. Third pops out fourth and reverse smooth as butter tried fifth just grindage there. Was empty of fluid when I got it from sitting a few years so put Lucas I wanna say 75/80 in trans and transfer case hoping it'll smooth out but untrue so far. Maybe its just the high idle hitting it hard but doesn't sound like it. Sloppy stick just a bushing in the transfer case?

Not sure what the tranny is curious as too what I can replace the one in there with or stock?

Any '81 to '86.5 4x4 will work if the lengths are the same. You could use a 2wd 5 spweed but you'll have to seal up the speedo pinion so it doesn't leak. Also the gearing inside in slightly different.

It runs high idle I'm assuming is all the vacuum I need to replace. I can release the clutch slow with no gas and go in first but jerky like whiplash style lol seconds not as bad.

This is an engine tune up problem and not transmission related. Possible bad plugs/wiring/cap or rotor or water/dirt in carb.

Third pops out fourth and reverse smooth as butter tried fifth just grindage there. Was empty of fluid when I got it from sitting a few years so put Lucas I wanna say 75/80 in trans and transfer case hoping it'll smooth out but untrue so far. Maybe its just the high idle hitting it hard but doesn't sound like it.

Popping out of gear is not good. Can only be fixed by removing/replacing.

Sloppy stick just a bushing in the transfer case?

Not transfer case. Transmission. The shifter has plastic bushings that wear out, but can be replaced.

Thank u replaced plugs wires cap rotor and air filter, think u reassured me on its my vacuum then timeing and need to win the lotto lol. Forgive me for maybe a stupid question, so the sticks in the trans and the 4x4 shifter in the transfer. Motor then trans driveshaft, transfer, and then driveshaft to front and back. Speedo doesn't work anyways, sprayed Carb cleaner in and around goodseal and runnin seafoam in tshe gas. Printed a diagram from aurozone on vac bet that will help alot. O and third only does it once in awhile no remidy to fix it before its too late?