WTB KA trans

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

Looking for a good KA trans for my single slammer swap. Also looking for a flywheel, and header. Let me know what you got! Local preferred. (Wa)

Thanks!!

You can use a 720 Z24 trans it bolts up and their ALLways in the junkyard

No. The B type from a Z series will work but the C types are far stronger.

B type

F4W71Bgears002.jpg

C type

FS5W71Cgears004.jpg

Check out the width of the gears. The C are much wider and stronger. Larger shift fingers, better synchros. The 'C' has a thicker 1st/2nd shift rod and larger counter and mainshaft bearings in the case and adapter plate also.

B type 56mm counter bearing (lower front)

bgears_front.jpg

C type with 62mm counter bearing

cgears_front.jpg

Note the larger bottom bearing is closer to the upper bearing. This is because it is larger.

B and C cover plates below. Note that the C type has internal oil passages to better lubricate the lower counter bearing.

FCovers.jpg

The FS5W71B was used on the 280zx non turbo and that was about the upper limit for them, about 180hp? Seriously I don't know, but under 200hp probably. The FS5W71C was used on the non turbo 300zx and reliably handle 300hp.

Wow, D-Mike Comes through again. ;)

And with OICS! Love it.

So the 720 pickup and the 280zx non-turbo both came with the "B" type correct?????

And only the 300zx came with the "C" type?

I guess either will be fine on my N/A Ka sohc. It'll be hopped up but 200hp would be a very high goal on it.

Thanks again Mike. :thumbup:

So the 720 pickup and the 280zx non-turbo both came with the "B" type correct?????

Yes, the '81 and up 720 and the '80-'83 200sx would also have the Z bolt pattern and would fit the KA . The '80s 280zx/Maxima were also 5 speeds but with L bolt pattern. The '84-'86.5 are CA bolt patterns. All FS5W71B

And only the 300zx came with the "C" type?

Hell no. The FS5W71C was used on the '86.5 and up Hardbody and Pathfinder, 200sx and later 240sx, '84 and up 300zx non turbo. The 300zx will have the VG30 motor and the 200sx were CA and VG motors. 2wd Hardbody and Pathfinder 4 cylinders will have the Z and KA motor bolt pattern you want. The 240sx were also KA motors, but the tranny is quite long and the shifter far back. They will fit and work in a 510 but the Hardbody 'C' type is a few inches shorter.

Since you like oics...

Both are FS5W71C type 5 speeds. The top one is from a D-21 Hardbody and the bottom is from an S13 240sx. You can see the relative length differences.

D-21andS13FS5W71C.jpg

I must say here that this is about fit only! There are several gear choices available between trucks and cars. The B type had some really wide ratio boxes for trucks and on the 200sx turbo cars. The C types had larger more powerful motors and so mostly mid and close ratio gear sets were used.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.