L18 Performance

sedition88

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Search the for sale section for the SU's. I've got my eye on some for $125 right now, usually about double that. I just picked up a peanuthead at the wrecking yard for $60. Also saw a few on our for sale section. The cam, I got one outta a Ratsuner's old truck in the Junkyard for $18... Got lucky. It seems most people recommend going through Isky, and make sure not to over-do it, the power will drop off when over cammed. Measure your trans to determine if it's short or long tail. Most guys using z or 200sx trans, I've heard it both ways, often you will need to have the driveline length changed, about $60 to have done. Expect to pay $150-$200 for a decent trans.There are a lot of really good write-ups on trans swaps available through the search function. If you haven't encountered DatsunMike, or Bonzai510, they are both very knowledgeable, and don't mind answering non-stupid questions. Very important use search function...

I've been searching and have a few threads saved for the info. I've read that's it better to get the carb first before the cam, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't want to go crazy, cause I want to be able to reliably drive it to SoCal if I want while having the power when I need it. I've been putting together a list of mods I want done and will continue to research what I need and I'll ask questions when needed. Thanks.