WTB: Shift Lever for 240, 260, 280Z

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shift Lever for 240, 260, 280Z

Depends on the 5 speed you have. '77-'80 were a 'long throw'. Later '80 and on 5 speeds used a different length below the fulcrum point to make it a true short throw.

Well you can cut down the shifter length and this will 'shorten' the throw but nothing looks worse (is worse) than leaning forward and reaching down for your shifter when driving. Cars may be better than trucks but if you can't reach your shifter in 5th while seated comfortably... your doing it wrong. Around '80 the Nissan 5 speed saw the fulcrum point raised on the shift lever. This effectively shortens the throw without shortening the length above the boot so it's still easy to reach.

'74 and up 4 speeds and '77-'79 5 speeds.

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

'80 and up 4 and 5 speeds.

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

At the same time the shifter was modified and much larger plastic bushings were installed to last longer. I think you could use the earlier shifter but without the added length below the fulcrum, what's the point? Here are several later shifters with different lengths bellow the fulcrum pin. Longer means that the upper part of the shift lever does not have to move as far.

shifters001Large.jpg

I recently swapped a zx 5 speed into my 710 but before installing I removed the tailstock (very top picture) and swapped on an '85 720 diesel tailstock (next picture down) and fitted the shifter with the longest length below the pin (one on left above) to it. The shifts are short and crisp with this combination.

5speedfor710goon030Large.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.