I tried to change my calipers and failed.

Vitamin Pepsi

Hey fellas, I'm in need of some quick help. I changed out my front brakes on my '78 280z today. I put on new brake pads and some re-manufactured calipers. I've done brake pads before, but never calipers. I covered the fluid reservoir with some plastic while changing them out. After I got both of them on, I turned the bleed screw and kept adding fluid and pumping the brakes until fluid came out of the bleed valve. I did the left one, and then the right one. I kept adding fluid as it drained out of the bleed valve. Yet, when I push on the brake pedal, it goes through the floor and the front calipers aren't working. What did I do wrong? I have to drive the car to work tomorrow!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You still have trapped compressible air in the system, thus the peddle drops and the calipers do not move. Did you have help? Pump twice and hold peddle down, open bleeder, let out air/fluid, close bleeder, let up peddle.... repeat until only clear, air bubble free fluid comes out at least 4 or 5 times in a row. Helps to have clear vinyl tubing on the bleeder so it's easy to see the smaller bubbles as they are forced out. Are there any other bleeders like on the brake pressure warning light switch?

Are there any other bleeders like on the brake pressure warning light switch?

I dont understand this part of what you said. Your instructions were helpful though. When I first tried to bleed it I didnt hold the pedal down. I tried it again though with my girlfriend's help. We pumped it 4 times then held the pedal down. I released the bleed valve for a second, then we repeated. We did the right front wheel then the left front wheel. and then repeated it again a few times. Still, no brakes. I bled them until only clear, bubbleless fluid came out. I have brakes, but only if I pump the pedal 3 or so times.

Do I need to bleed the rear drums as well despite the fact that I didnt touch them and they have a separate reservoir? I'm out of ideas. I put some gasket maker stuff around the brake line screws just in case air was getting in there but it didnt help. I have to drive the car tomorrow, and I'm probably going to die as only the rears are working. :*(

Cross your fingers....

Is the bleeder screw located on the upper part pf the caliper or is it down lower? The bleeder screw should be near the top or on a high point so that the air bubble can get out. You may have accidentally swapped left for right and the bleeders are too low now.

Okay, I think I did put them on the wrong wheels because the bleed valve is pointing down. I didn't think that was possible so I didnt pay attention to which was which. Now I have to go out and change them.. The hard part is that I live in an apartment and doing that sort of thing can get me in a lot of trouble with the building manager. Crapsauce.

Well, I think that's my problem anyway. Thanks a lot for helping me out gentlemen! Datzen!