I just bought a 1978 620.

I am a brand new member of this site. This is my first posting.

Last Friday I became the 5th owner of a 1978 Datsun 620 shortbed. I paid $700. The truck is bone stock; however, it suffers from benign neglect. The truck has been sitting for 7 years underneath an old Maple tree that had been planted by the truck's original owner. It is dark blue inside and out. The body is in relatively good condition. There is little rust and virtually no dents. It is a radio-delete model. It has just over 39,000 original miles and an automatic transmission. The dash is cracked. I would like to purchase a dash. The lip of the hood is rusted. I would like to purchase a hood. The exhaust pipe has rusted through and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have an exhaust pipe for sale? Any suggestions for a new exhaust pipe/exhaust system are welcome. Any suggestions for a hood and dash are welcome. The truck still has its original tires. Obviously, the tires need to be replaced. I will consider purchasing a set of wheels for this truck. I will restore the original wheels as a spare set. Please let me know what wheels you have for sale. Recently I saw a picture of a green 620 that was sporting a set of Superlites. I liked them. The Superlites resemble Panasport minilites. I will consider purchasing slotted mags, racing wheels, classic rims, etc. I prefer 14" rims.

My 620 will be towed to my mechanic in Weyers Cave, Virginia sometime this week. John and Kay Davis, the owners of Classic Motorsports, will refurbish the truck to my liking. John is an excellent mechanic. If you are looking for a good mechanic near Harrisonburg, VA, I recommend John. John and Kay have an excellent auto repair shop. I have asked John and Kay to take pictures of the build. I have asked them to shoot videos, as well. Look for videos of the build on youtube.com. Look for pictures and videos of the build on mydatsunpickup.com.

The 620 is my latest project. I intend to refurbish - not restore - the truck. I will make slight modifications to improve the truck. I am not a fan of the dark blue paint. The truck will be painted a color I like. I am considering painting the truck light green, silver, light tan - almost sand (similar to the color on my 2000 Frontier), bright yellow, or black (flat or shiny). The interior will be replaced. I am considering a black or tan interior. I will keep the bench seat. I am considering installing a single or dual side draft carburetor.

I welcome all suggestions, and all input from the members of this site. I have enjoyed viewing the pictures and reading the comments you have posted here. Thank you in advance for responding to this posting.

I will post pictures of my 620 to this posting once I take them.

Update: Last night, my friend Red and I travelled from Harrisonburg, VA to Berryville, VA (about 60 miles one way) to go get my truck. I drove the truck Red had borrowed from his mother, attached to which was the flat bed trailer owned by his ex-boss. Red and I towed my pickemup back to Red's house in Harrisonburg. Tonight we will tow it the rest of the way to John's shop, Classic Motorsports, in Weyer's Cave, Virginia (about 7 miles). Before Red and I get there, I intend to stop at a car wash to have a go at washing away the past 7 years of maple tree love and good 'ol Virginia dirt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.