Problem fitting 700r4 into 240z

DC_S13

I was having trouble fitting my Vortec 350 with 700r4 trans into my 1973 240z. I followed all the steps Zcarparts.com said to do and yet the transmission just wouldn't fit into the transmission tunnel. So I took a closer look.

IMG00063-20110723-1802.jpg

This pic was just after I started trimming it but it shows the old transmission mounting point on the tranny tunnel, this is welded onto the transmission tunnel and for the 700r4 to fit AT ALL you have to trim this down, I had to go this far.

IMG00064-20110723-1803.jpg

IMG00066-20110723-1811.jpgAnd walaa then the Vortec 350 and 700r4 trans fit snuggly into place and the bottom most point of the transmission oil pan sits about 3/8 of an inch above the frame rails. It's like the 240z came with this setup. If your wondering why the valve covers are off exposing the heads not to worry when I bought the motor off a buddy he couldnt find em, I got a pair later and didn't bother covering them backup because I am doing a headgasket kit and doing a thorough cleaning of the head, valves, springs, pushrods etc and throwing it all back together with a vortec manifold for carburated and running a Holley 650. more pics to come after we get it running.

IMG00068-20110723-1852.jpgIMG00067-20110723-1852.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expected to have to do some trimming it's just that it said BOLT ON kit so I figured it would but guess not lol. I wrote this up right after we got it in a few hours ago so I was still a little bitchy from the trans oil all over my back ( i pulled the cuttoff driveshaft yoke from the transmission on accident while working under the car). Overall the mounts are excellent quality and with the old trans mounts out of the way it is unreal how easy this setup bolts in. Yes I am running a 700r4 and not the 4l60E. My goal is to have a quick cruiser with a rat rod look, i'm not drag racing or autocrossing this car so i'm not worried about the strength of the tranmission. The vehicle we removed this from came with this from the factory so i'm sure it will be fine.