update on z24 swap

the past couple days I've seperated the spare 1984 z24 engine and tranny, even scrubbed it down with oven cleaner. I'll be puting new crank seals in it and a new oil pan gasket as soon as my parts get here and it will be dropped into my 1986.5 nissan hardbody TBI.

I was looking at my exhaust manifold...as I was removing it, and oh my the rust didnt look like much but it seized up everything connected to it and the exhaust manifold on the engine thats still in the truck didnt look any better. I had to remove the EGR to exhaust manifold tube??? (not sure what that metal tube is called) off the EGR just to remove the exhaust manifold. I dont really want that THING back on my engine. I'm looking at possibly a header.

I know I've discussed the whole emissions thing a few times and was advised to keep it or most of it but to be honest the secondary air system or what ever all the stuff is under the hood on the drivers side is looking more and more rusted and nasty looking every day. I'm thinking about seeing what I got to do to get rid of that stuff when this engine go's in.

right before this engine go's in I'm swapping over my TBI intake manifold.

Any feedback is appreciated!!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the past couple days I've seperated the spare 1984 z24 engine and tranny, even scrubbed it down with oven cleaner. I'll be puting new crank seals in it and a new oil pan gasket as soon as my parts get here and it will be dropped into my 1986.5 nissan hardbody TBI.

I was looking at my exhaust manifold...as I was removing it, and oh my the rust didnt look like much but it seized up everything connected to it and the exhaust manifold on the engine thats still in the truck didnt look any better. I had to remove the EGR to exhaust manifold tube??? (not sure what that metal tube is called) off the EGR just to remove the exhaust manifold. I dont really want that THING back on my engine. I'm looking at possibly a header.

I know I've discussed the whole emissions thing a few times and was advised to keep it or most of it but to be honest the secondary air system or what ever all the stuff is under the hood on the drivers side is looking more and more rusted and nasty looking every day. I'm thinking about seeing what I got to do to get rid of that stuff when this engine go's in.

right before this engine go's in I'm swapping over my TBI intake manifold.

Any feedback is appreciated!!!

EGR is emissions, and if you plan on running FI, I would not remove it. My Z24 is using a 32/36 weber, and may have forced induction in its future. The EGR system was non functional, so I pulled it, but a FI motor can act screwy when you disconnect EGR systems. When functioning properly, the EGR will not cost you any noticeable horsepower, don't listen to the old wives tails. If you run computer controls, expect to have a CEL or need to reflash the computer if you plan to run a stock ECU with no EGR.

If you really want to pull the EGR, either buy a header, take a torch and heat up the manifold(carefully) to remove the EGR stuff and buy a high temp bolt to plug the hole with, then have the stock manifold ported and coated like I did if you don't like the rusty look. The Z24 manifold has decently sized passages for a sub 200hp motor, and a port and polish will work wonders on it...and coating it will make it look better without having the temperature and cracking problems you will find on the aftermarket headers.

For those wanting oics, he is talking about the tube that attaches to the back of the factory NAPS exhaust manifold to run exhaust gasses back behind the motor to the EGR valve and then to the intake. If you want to remove the emissions stuff, you can make a trip to fastenal, auto parts store, or hardware store, and buy various sizes of bolts and plugs like I did to cap off where all the emissions items were. The only thing he will have to fabricate will be a plate to cover the hole in the intake manifold where the EGR valve bolts in.