Fabricating a Jeep Soft Top Bow Assembly ???

So Hello again all,

I want it to be known that even though i have not posted anything in a while i am still plugging away at my 521. Have just gotten done overhauling the original carb, rebuilt the under the dash wiring harness from scratch (and a lot of scrap from pic n pull), coated the original dashpad with fiberglass resin, drained flushed and bleed the brakes, pulled the bench seats and redid the floorpans with stop rust and some other minor things here and there.

Anyway what has been taking most of my time away from the datto other than the endless stream of projects around the house is a buddy and his 97 jeep wrangler. It is a TJ with not too many problems but we have given it a very thorough tune up and been playing around with this and that. So when he got it, it came with a hard top and full doors, he has recently purchased a soft top for it only to find out that he does not have the original factory bow assembly, well these do not appear to be cheap, the cheapest aftermarket ones we have found are $350 and being that he is on a fixed income of around 1k a month and being quite handy we thought hmm those dont look so difficult and we figured we would attempt to make some out of pvc. I have already figured out how to make some hinges out of the pvc and how to make an extendable arm, but before we delve into the project i wondered if anyone here had attempted anything similar or if anyone happens to have good pics and dimensions of the original factory stuff / aftermarket stuff.

As always any help is appreciated and i promise to update you all with PICS of the progress on both the datto and the jeep.

Ken

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get some pics of my CJ's bows, they are a bit bent. I'm not sure if the design would be the same though.

As a Jeep owner I would recommend picking up a bikini top for the sunny season. It's a much better driving experience. My soft top goes in the attic during that time ;)

2eDeYe' date='27 June 2011 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1309217398' post='501904']

I can get some pics of my CJ's bows, they are a bit bent. I'm not sure if the design would be the same though.

As a Jeep owner I would recommend picking up a bikini top for the sunny season. It's a much better driving experience. My soft top goes in the attic during that time ;)

Unfortunately the CJ bows are different the 97 TJ did some weird J hook looking things (see pic) I do appreciate the thought though. He was looking at the bikini top when he decided to do the full soft top as a just in case, is there any special hardware that is required to mount the bikini??

Thanks again, Ken

145779-lg.jpg

2eDeYe' date='28 June 2011 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1309274170' post='502341']

Nope, no special hardware really. Just need a couple footmans loops, but I think those come with the bikini top.

Good Deal, thank you for the help. I have also found out that we have the stainless steel tubing at work and a bender so i am going to go on friday and make an assembly out of that, well attempt to at least.