New guy that wants a 280z

As its been said, a 280z is reliable enough so overall you cant go horribly wrong as long as youre careful. Out of curiosity though why exactly are you looking to buy a car in particular? Do you need a car to drive? Are you looking for second car to use as a project? Both? My advice would be evaluate why you want to get a car, and really think about what your goal with it would be. In my opinion if youre looking to go to school, your focus should be going to school. This should take up the majority of your time and, if it doesnt, youre not doing as much as you could. A project car should come secondary. I went to college for 3 years before I even had a car, I rode the bus or my bike everywhere and it was awesome. No gas, or maintenance to pay for and no risk of breaking down.

If you want to learn about cars, like wrenching on stuff, or just want to learn about mechanics, you dont HAVE to have a project car. Take the automotive, welding, fabrication, engineering, CAD classes at your school. Find a Formula SAE club or similar at your community college (or a bigger university) to join up with. You will learn more than you ever knew was possible. Get with some engineering professors and volunteer some of your time on their research projects, there are some awesome research projects going on that will blow you away. If you want to race, find a ChumpCar or LeMons team to spend some time with. If there is a race track in your city see if you can volunteer at the various racing venues they hold, or see if they can hook you up with a local team you can volunteer with. All these things will teach you a lot about cars, how things work, and will get you in contact with great people that can help you later.

This is going to be my first REAL car, I live close to my school and i usually ride my bike there everyday and back. The first time i ever saw a 280z was at work and i saw the badassery and i knew at that moment i wanted a car like that. This is probably going to be the only car i will be driving that's why i would need it to run decent, I wouldn't want something to go wrong and have it sit for months. I'm going to continue my 2nd year of community college next year and i will probably enroll in a automotive class. My ultimate goal for the car is to restore it, maybe put a v8 if i had the money. I don't plan on trying to make the fastest/best looking car ever, I just want it to run well and problem free. What sucks is, i have no tools or knowledge on how to fix anything, so its straight to the mechanic if anything goes wrong. But im definitely determined to learn.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a few Z shops in socal. Mike's Z is in Whittier, Precision Z in Canoga Park...there's a bunch. I don't LIKE to take my Z into the shops because they usually screw something up...I've had two broken keys from shops before because my locks...well..they require a little love to work lol.

Also, a $100 tool kit from Sears, a jack, and a couple jack stands are all you really need. Plus there are a lot of us socal people :P

Also, Skib, I might be Kia-free soon! lols

I saw 2 datsuns today i was going to go look at after work..

One was a clean 78' 280z blue color. $3500

The second one was a one owner, doctor owned, 78 280z all original clean as hell. $2995

Too bad they both got sold within 3 hours, Im so salty right now. poop.gif