73 620 runs like crap

RaSKaL

ok so a few weeks ago i noticed my truck start to sputter a little under load and i thought it was cheap gas so i burned thru it got some better gas and it stopped. a few days later it started again and it was worse. it smelled like it was running rich so i had a tech buddy tune the carb, that solved it for maybe a day. so i checked plugs and they were blk and covered in gas. replaced them and its still bad. i had the parts to rebuild the carb (weber 32/36) and got it all put back on and it STILL bad. i had another tech look at it and he said get a new condenser and new points, condenser was no go and points are no go. now the damn thing wil run some times and run like total shit and other time it will run just ok but not good enough to drive or even put load on it to warm it up it just takes in fuel and starts to die.

i can give more specifics if you need

I NEED HELP DATSUN BROTHERS (and/or sisters)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Sometimes when a Weber is put on lots of things are capped. Are all your caps intact? Also have you checked timing or made sure distributor is tight? Can we see a few pics of the engine bay? Close up of carb maybe. Also could be bad plug wires

yes i will absolutly put up some pics. i was going to any way. and i didnt put the weber on so i dont know what needs to be capped and what should not be capped. also when i bought the truck it was running great and it had the weber on. i know its a bad thing to do but im running no muffler. the exhaust was coming off near the rear axle so i just cut it off and have not been able to put one back on :( and that was a month and a half ago

You may have somr crud in the float bowl, it will cause all thse symptoms. If you have the stock Hitachi just remove the plugs to drain it and yo good to go.

yea i have weber and i just rebuild it so its all cleaned up. i was also gonna check the fuel filter andall that too

thanks

Crud doesnt come from the carb, so it doesnt matter if it was just rebuilt. Crud comes from the tank and will go right thru a new filter. Been there, done that.

Yup...I know some webers have a small screen by the incomming fuel line, and that screen can get clogged as well. I would buy another fuel filter and cut the old one open to see what it looked like so I knew if that was part of the problem.

Vacuum leaks cause a lean condition by the way, because air is getting in through the manifold rather than going through the carb, so more air going into the combustion chamber that doesn't pass through the carb will create a lean mixture, rather than rich. Rich fouling can be caused by high fuel pressure, bad carburetor, bad ignition timing, weak spark, clogged filters and lines creating the sputtering effect as it goes lean, then sprays a ton of fuel in...there can be other causes, but those are the most common I see at the shop.

the solution? if the fuel filter and your screen and float bowl have junk in them, it is time to play "flush the fuel system"! I do not mean a magic bottle of cleaner, I mean disconnect the fuel lines, put cleaner in them and use an air hose to flush them out, then install new fuel filters, drain and clean the gas tank, then start running better gasoline. Some fuel tanks come with a liner on the inside of the tanks, and 20+ years later that chemical liner breaks apart...if that is what happened, they are a bitch to clean...otherwise you just clean the gunk out of the tank with cleaner and rags.

I am gonna post some pics tomorrow. Then i can figure out where to go, im gonna buy a new fuel filter tomorrow and see whats up with that. I have a gas tank plug, should i drain the tank and clean it? If so what should i clean it with? . Thanks for the tips so far.

• 2 weeks later...